Feeding my Haddoni

Bigjohnwoody

Well I have had my haddoni for almost three weeks now. I was told by a guy on Reef 2 Reef that owns four of them, that I should wait three weeks to feed it. Well I couldn't wait and tried to feed it PE Mysis about 5 days ago. It would just retract it's tentacles and all of the Mysis would just sluff off and float away. I tried three days in a row and it would not eat. I went on google and did a search for why this would be. I found out on one sight that a lot of haddoni's will not eat smaller foods. I found this extremely interesting. Being that Mysis is the biggest food that I own I had to go get something different. I broke every rule in my book and went down to my local lfs and bought some silversides. I don't know if there are good or bad brands and did not do research on which is best. I ended up buying Sally's frozen silversides. Low in behold I thawed out two silversides and set them on it and it instantly closed up and consumed both of them. Just thought I would share this experience and ask why it would consume silversides and not Mysis? Also what are other large food items I could feed the haddoni to vary it's diet? What are the best silversides to buy? Thanks

I like individually frozen silversides.

H2O Ocean as well a a few

Other companies have them available. Larger krill should also work. I have always had good luck feeding PE mysis to my hoddoni anemones though admittedly I didn't feed often so maybe they were just real hungry. I have also fed them Krill superb dead damsels, chromis, and silversides. Pretty much any smaller fish that happened to recently pass for whatever reason. Found a fairy wrasse or two in their cluhes a few times. Probably just fish thy were either dead or on their way out my guess. Good info for those adding a hoddoni or for that matter most sticodactil sp. to their tanks.

I may get a lot of flack from this but I have sliced a chunk of salmon off & offered it up to the anemones, both the carpet & RBT eat it up. So when we have salmon I share with the critters too. I only feed them every 3 to 4 weeks. BTW you frag wont stop growing, you better hurry before its a colony......

Food usually needs to be off sufficient "weight" or mass to elicit and strong feeding response. Feeding requires energy expenditure and it needs to be worth their while. That is why clownfish "jab" food into anemones. I raised carpets and also found if there is a need to make hand contact with it, waving your hand vigorously over it as a clownfish would do greatly reduces or eliminates "velcro" effect on your hand and eliminates getting stung. At least it worked for me...

DrMerle

I have read that you can find all kind of goodies at the seafood counter of your local grocery, I have never tried this though (except for feeding my moray prawns).

I wish I had a link to a thread I read on reef central about silversides. Basically the gist of it was DON'T feed silversides!!! Person after person posted that they had fed them for years, then one day... ALL the nems they had fed died after a feeding (not all the nems in the tank, just the ones who had been fed that days silversides) They all attributed this to the silversides having "gone bad". Apparently if they get left out on the counter too long and are allowed to thaw, they can for the lack of a better word spoil. It was enough for me to throw out the almost full pack of silversides in my fridge. (scary). I would definitely do a search on silverside horror stories, there was just soooo many people saying the same thing.

I like individually frozen silversides.

H2O Ocean as well a a few

Other companies have them available. Larger krill should also work. I have always had good luck feeding PE mysis to my hoddoni anemones though admittedly I didn't feed often so maybe they were just real hungry. I have also fed them Krill superb dead damsels, chromis, and silversides. Pretty much any smaller fish that happened to recently pass for whatever reason. Found a fairy wrasse or two in their cluhes a few times. Probably just fish thy were either dead or on their way out my guess. Good info for those adding a hoddoni or for that matter most sticodactil sp. to their tanks.

Ok thanks Garrett. Will keep those brands in mind next time I'm up your way:)

The person I was talking to who had a haddoni was feeding him chopped up mysis' date=' krill and selco enriched brine. Nice to hear it's still doing well for you John.[/quote']

Interesting! I wonder if that persons haddoni was as large as mine? Or maybe not so picky:)

Food usually needs to be off sufficient "weight" or mass to elicit and strong feeding response. Feeding requires energy expenditure and it needs to be worth their while. That is why clownfish "jab" food into anemones. I raised carpets and also found if there is a need to make hand contact with it, waving your hand vigorously over it as a clownfish would do greatly reduces or eliminates "velcro" effect on your hand and eliminates getting stung. At least it worked for me...

DrMerle

Very cool info, thanks. I did accidentally touch it about a week and a half ago and it scared me so I pulled away quickly and some of the tentacles stayed attached to my hand. I was really mad at myself for being so stupid and hoped I didn't hurt it to badly. It never seemed to care, so I'm guessing it's ok. It was a pain to scrape them off though. I was really surprised how stuck on my hand they were.

I have read that you can find all kind of goodies at the seafood counter of your local grocery, I have never tried this though (except for feeding my moray prawns).

I wish I had a link to a thread I read on reef central about silversides. Basically the gist of it was DON'T feed silversides!!! Person after person posted that they had fed them for years, then one day... ALL the nems they had fed died after a feeding (not all the nems in the tank, just the ones who had been fed that days silversides) They all attributed this to the silversides having "gone bad". Apparently if they get left out on the counter too long and are allowed to thaw, they can for the lack of a better word spoil. It was enough for me to throw out the almost full pack of silversides in my fridge. (scary). I would definitely do a search on silverside horror stories, there was just soooo many people saying the same thing.

Not the info I was hoping for:(. None the less thank you for sharing. I will be doing some research on this more and figure out the best thing to feed my new Nem, since it seems to hate Mysis.

I may get a lot of flack from this but I have sliced a chunk of salmon off & offered it up to the anemones' date=' both the carpet & RBT eat it up. So when we have salmon I share with the critters too. I only feed them every 3 to 4 weeks. BTW you frag wont stop growing, you better hurry before its a colony......[/quote']

Awesome to hear the frag (mini colony) is doing amazing. Really hoping the 20th is still gonna work for you. I'll pm you to find out more of the specifics on the when and where to pick it up. Thanks

I have also fed salmon scraps, raw shrimp, silversides and other chunky food. Besides this I feed the whole tank mysis and cyclop ez. I think that anemones basically sit there and eat anything that drops on their tentacles depending on how hungry they are. Winnco used to sell a seafood medley that made pretty good food but they do not carry it at our store anymore. I am a fan of a mix of different types of food no matter what you feed.

I have also fed salmon scraps' date=' raw shrimp, silversides and other chunky food. Besides this I feed the whole tank mysis and cyclop ez. I think that anemones basically sit there and eat anything that drops on their tentacles depending on how hungry they are. Winnco used to sell a seafood medley that made pretty good food but they do not carry it at our store anymore. I am a fan of a mix of different types of food no matter what you feed.[/quote']

I'm a big fan of variety as well. Although after a three attempts at Mysis and almost three weeks of no food I got scared and tried something new. That's when I found some people reporting there haddoni's would not eat smaller food. I suppose I could buy some raw frozen shrimp. Is this a very nutrient rich food? Problem I have is that in my area, there's not much, if any, fresh seafood selection.

I've heard but not yet tried this, If u do find yourself stuck to the nem. Leave your fingers/hand/ whatever? There untill it realeases. This is supposedly better for the nem.

Also I feed silversides/large krill/frozen octopuss/pe mysis to my green carpet. I try and feed once a week to every other week as I don't want mine outgrowing my tank before I can give it a larger home:-)

Archived