Help needed building a Clean Up Crew

Derbird

The time has come to beef up my clean up crew (plotting)

I have a 75 gallon tank with a 15-30 gallon sump depending on which calculation is right

What I have

2 Hermit crabs, blue legged ones

1 Leopard tail cucumber

several mushrooms and soft corals

My Wish List - What I plan on putting on my tank

Clown fish pair, I am leaning towards false perculas

Chromis, small school maybe 3

Mandarin dragonet, I know this is about a year away

Tang, Still can't decide which one love them all...LOL

Some kind of Nem, depending on what clown fish go in

Cleaner shrimp 1 or 2

Peppermint Shrimp 3ish, I hear they do best in packs

That being said what critters should I get to help my algee farm? Is there a better kind of hermit crab or some that should not mix? How many should I start with? What snails would be best -I'm trying to keep an open mind on snails-(whistle)

I am a true noobie to salt here so don't worries about offending me if I am planning some thing that just wont work. Tell me how it is, maybe I shouldn't say that (laugh). My worst fear is putting incompatible animals together and making future problems for my little friends. (scary)

More horrible camera pix of my algee farm!

TheGrassyKnoll.jpg

TheAlgeeSpreads2.jpg

TheAlgeespreads.jpg

I would go with something like the following:

10 red leg hermits

10 dwarf blue leg hermits

5 zebra hermits

10 cerith snails

10 astrea snails

5 white trochus

5 red banded trochus

10 nassarius snails(get a variety of types)

maybe a few nerites

a sand sifting cucumber

a couple of conchs

a sandsifting star

and maybe about 5-10 more snails in various species.

options:

Sally light foot crab

2-3 emerald crabs

I also like smaller brittle and serpent star varieties. I think they do a great job cleaning up uneatin food and are just fun to watch.

Variety and keeping enough so that algae never becomes and issue is really the key in my experience. Keeping a well stocked(even slightly over stocked) cleanup crew really can make a night and day difference in terms of tank health and overall success. Coupled with regular water changesm, good flow, and good skimming you should have a pretty clean and happy reef.

I would go with something like the following:

10 red leg hermits

10 dwarf blue leg hermits

5 zebra hermits

10 cerith snails

10 astrea snails

5 white trochus

5 red banded trochus

10 nassarius snails(get a variety of types)

maybe a few nerites

a sand sifting cucumber

a couple of conchs

a sandsifting star

and maybe about 5-10 more snails in various species.

options:

Sally light foot crab

2-3 emerald crabs

I also like smaller brittle and serpent star varieties. I think they do a great job cleaning up uneatin food and are just fun to watch.

Variety and keeping enough so that algae never becomes and issue is really the key in my experience. Keeping a well stocked(even slightly over stocked) cleanup crew really can make a night and day difference in terms of tank health and overall success. Coupled with regular water changesm, good flow, and good skimming you should have a pretty clean and happy reef.

Wow now thats a list. Can my tank support that many cleaning critters its only a 75 + sump? Then again saltwater fish are messy (laugh) and I could always put in some nori if the algee gets low.

I love the idea of a serpent star, they are stange and wonderful creatures.

Thank you again for the great list and fast reply :D

So I like to do it big when I do it I have a 160gallon tank +sump+frag tank so about 220 gallons now or so. When I have gotten critters in the past I would order something like this. 75 Turbo Snail [astrae],*18 Cerith Snail, 100 Nassarius Snail, 2 Emerald Crab and 75 Blueleg Hermits. And this is when I had just the 160 gallon tank with about 20 gallons in my old sump. They do a great job of getting stuff clean quick. That's just how I have done it in the past and seemed to be just fine.

Im a noobie here too so I have been learning on the fly. My tank is only a 40 Breeder and approx 20 g sump/fuge, but I have around 120lbs of live rock(there was insane amounts of algae everywhere). I got 15 Blue legged hermits and 4 Turbo snails and they devoured the algae in 3 weeks.

Garret set me up great, for te record. I'd take his advice essentially without any doubt. I love my emerald and my two coral banded shrimp, though they'll probably have to leave when they get to big. I had gotten two peppermonts, lost one but the other is doing fine alone.

I also have a pair of porcelain crabs...only sort of cuc, but awesome little critters

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone

I really wish Garrett's shop was closer, I hear nothing but glowing reviews about that him and his place DOH! A future road trip may be in order. (plotting)

I there is anything else that will help don't be shy. I'm going to get some hermits and snails today, my tank is getting scary. As much as my devistated wallet can do at least. This hobby is hitting me where it hurts, the bank account (laugh)

Archived