• 2x Engineer Gobies
    • 2x diamond gobies
    • sand sifting starfish
    • cucumbers
    • goatfish
    • conchs (4?)
    • nothing...let the detritus rot!
    • something else? (please post it)

ok people...here's a poll cause I'm trying to figure out how to move my sand around the best. I've got some tiny nass snails in my CUC, a shortspined urchin and a chestnut snail (yay Garret!). also have a wheeler's watchmen/pistol pair (but they don't stir except in their little burrow).

however, I see some cyano on the glass under the sand's surface, so I assume I could use more stirring. I love the look and I want the breeding ground of the sand...but I don't want it to be the feared nutrient sink. so:

eng goby x2

diamond goby x2

starfish (i think this is a bad idea, but I'll put it here)

conchs (prob 4?)

goatfish (seems like it's not a good answer)

Yeah. Add more ceriths and nassarius (bigger ones). The diamond gobies and engineers wont get it all either. And might harrass your shrimp pair. Maybe a starfish. But nothing is going to eat all that grime by the sand/glass edge, thats your job. If its cyano you are having maybe look at scarlet reef hermits

I hear engineer gobies when they get big can be quite destructive. Conches (Tiger and Fighting) are very cool. Fighting conches don't really fight anything. They are fun to look at and do a great job. The only problem I had with them is when you have a crowded sandbed like I do they can start knocking things over. Hermit crabs can too when they get bigger but the dwarf hermits seem to do fine. Hermits can be opportunistic and will eat snails but I find the trochus snails are more hermit resistant. Marble starfish are very hardy and fun to look at. Linkia's tend to be the more sensitive species.

If your rockwork is secure and don't have much on your sand bed then an engineer goby is a good choice cause he will move a Ton of sand depending on size, mine was over 7-8" and moved alot but he would move all the sand from underneath the rocks and cover rocks with sand (but lost him in an velvet outbreak :-( . my sand star moves around constantly and doesnt bother my small hermits or nass snails, check out ebay you can by the snails in bulk i got 150 and only 2 died on shipping

now I'm leaning toward a pair of engineers...my rock was put in on the glass bottom before the sand, so I'm not too worried about them re-scaping. if I start losing my hermits down the road, I can change things up then, but I know people with a lot of success with these guys and they seem easy to keep...any strong objections?

you gotta make the call.i dont think there is a wrong way to go here .there is a positive and negative review about everyone of these creatures.i guess it depends on who your talking to and it sounds like you have heard from alot of people.

• 3 weeks later...

yep, 1 pistol/watchman goby pair but they don't actually move much sand, the goby doesn't at all, actually. the pistol only moves enough sand to keep the opening of the burrow there, no more. they found a rock that was imbedded in the sand and pulled the sand out of it to make a burrow and haven't really done anything else.

might get a couple banded sleeper gobies from garret...deciding if I really have $50 to blow on another couple fish right now...

Archived