Will cycled fresh water help a new salt tank?

Derbird

Ok on to the next silly question.

Will putting a little water from my well established fresh tank - 8+years - help the cycling prosses on the new salt tank? (scratch) I know this is how you jump start a new fresh tank. I have done it many a time(laugh)

I know it's instant death for all the good bactiria in there but it still would have lots of good chemicals that the new bactiria in the live sand might do well on.

Just a thought

It was just a thought.....they some times hurt you know (laugh)

I have some live rock and will use the shrimp method to start it up. I already added a couple of baby brine shrimp from my last feeding.

It seems wrong but I find my self looking forward to the algee blooms and all that not so pleasent stuff. Just want to add the clean up crew I guess (plotting)

Thank you for your quick responce and for putting up with my horrific spelling (whistle)

Even adding water from another salt water tank does next to nothing since the bacteria that support the life cycle are benthic and live on the surface or in the rocks or other media. They are not found in large numbers at all in the water column.

If your looking to speed up your cycle there are several products and methods to do so, but adding water from another tank, be it fresh or salt will not do much for you

Even adding water from another salt water tank does next to nothing since the bacteria that support the life cycle are benthic and live on the surface or in the rocks or other media. They are not found in large numbers at all in the water column.

If your looking to speed up your cycle there are several products and methods to do so, but adding water from another tank, be it fresh or salt will not do much for you

+1 IME, the water from my main tank doesn't help much in a new tank. I thought it would be enough to run a single-fish QT...I was wrong and lost an otherwise healthy fish...

Archived