Do I need Ozone?

shaywood

That is funny, I just did the same thing. I purchased an red sea ozone plus with controller. Right now I am not running the ozone, just running the controller. Last I checked it was like 430 redox without running ozone. I don't think it is possible to have a redox that high without running ozone. This is my first time with redox/ozone so I could be wrong. From what I have read, it might be hard to measure redox, and the probes need to be cleaned quite often. When hey get dirty they read higher levels. I purchased the unit used and so was the probe. I am thinking of getting a new one and see if I see a difference. I know you can buy calibration solutions to check the accuracy. I have not tried them.

Theron

If your tank is not heavily stocked then the potential will be greater w/o use of ozone. If you have an overcrowded and/or overstocked tank that uses a lot of O2 then the redox potential will be lower due to all of the organisms using up (breathing) O2. You should check the redox potential at night when there is little or no O2 being produced, so that would be the time for the lowest redox potential.

it takes 2-3 weeks before a redox probe is even remotly accurate. Dont bother trying to calibrate it until its been in use for a few weeks.

Shawn I forget how long ago you picked up the probe, but I would wait a bit longer before believeing the number its giving you.

re

I run ozone for reasons other than simply increasing ORP, 2 things really, water clarity and parasite control. On my new tank I am going to run a Phosreactor with Bioballs and ozone, rather than running it in my skimmer. This is going to then go directly into another phosreactor filled with carbon to remove any ozone remaining. I may run phos media as well, but I need to look into the effects of ozone on ferric hydroxide.