Dehumidifier

Algae

I am having a dual fuel heat pump/furnace installed on Thursday and was wondering if I should have a dehumidifier installed in the new system at the same time.

I am currently running a 72 Gal. open tank and will be installing a 120 and 60 Gal. open tank and pulling the 72.

I like the humidity now with the 72 and am just wondering if the extra capacity is going to give me too much humidity?

Actually it is going to be a 60 and 120. Modern houses seem to have more dry air and I have enjoyed the humidity from the 72. Gotta check on freezer packs with the weather heating up again and the central air broken. I almost hope it's going to get hot after Friday so I can feel like I am getting some bang for my buck out of the new system.

If someone asks where we went on our last two vacations I can take them out to our garage and point at the new furnace/heat pump! At least I can get the garage wired for my tanks at the same time.

Are you sure they're offering a dehumidifier? You can add humidification pretty easy because it's simply adding steam or atomized water into the airstream. Dehumidification is already happening when you're in cooling mode; there is condensate coming off the cooling coil into a drainpan (you'd have to understand a psychometric chart, but trust me on this). Dehumidification beyond that gets expensive and complicated, and not something very typical in residential systems.

But, depending on your house size, you might end up with a humidity problem. I've been to an apartment with 270 gallons worth of tanks that instantly fogged up my glasses.

Archived