August Meeting!

stylaster

This month we are proud to present our guest speaker Jake Adams!!!! Jake will be doing a presentation on LED lighting. This is going to be a very informative meeting about one of the hottest topics in our hobby!

The meeting is August 20th and starts at 12:30 and the presentation to begin at 1:00 PM. We expect the meeting to finish around 4PM

Address

7644 SW Mohawk St

Tualatin, OR 97062

Easiest directions would be take Martinazzi, to Warm Springs,Take left on Warm springs (across from Upscales) stay straight on Warm Springs to the top of the hill, road will vear to the right, office is on the right at top of hill.

Thanks for the edit Roy, I was searching for "when" it was, but as Kim will say " it does not matter, you wont go anyway"

She is probally right since I will be finishing my tank but I am very interested in what Jake has to say regarding LED lighting-Someone should really think about video taping his presentation and not for me but for "the club" especially with as much a rage LED's are now

Thats what other clubs would do (whistle)

Almost every speaker will not allow videotaping.

A few will but most do not!

Guess you are just going to have to go to this on Reefjunkie!

I understand, which I can appreciate that thats what we pay them for-

How about a micro recorder-boot legged in and nobody would know except those reading this thread (laugh)

J/K- enjoy the engagemnt(clap)

Meeting is today!

Just a reminder the meeting is today and a nationally known speaker Jake Adams is speaking about LED lights. Those who can should really to. Meeting is being held at Gogator's office... thanks again Victor for providing the space at such short notice.

I cannot make it due to prior plansDOH!DOH!DOH!

Here's the information again:

The meeting is August 20th and starts at 12:30 and the presentation to begin at 1:00 PM. We expect the meeting to finish around 4PM

Address

7644 SW Mohawk St

Tualatin, OR 97062

Easiest directions would be take Martinazzi, to Warm Springs,Take left on Warm springs (across from Upscales) stay straight on Warm Springs to the top of the hill, road will vear to the right, office is on the right at top of hill.

It's was great, very cool to see Jake give the presentation. He has a lot of enthusiasm about LEDS and the use of them in the hobby.

Can't wait to see what comes out at MACNA. Also check out reefbuilder.com if you don't already at least once a week (if you can stay away for that long :) )

I hope you all had a real good time with Jake around...I saw an early version of his LED talk and was quite impressed...I'm sure he's only improved it since then!

Almost every speaker will not allow videotaping.

A few will but most do not!

Just a side note, I know some people get irked about speakers not wanting video taping, pictures etc. There's often one or more very good reasons why. I'll throw out a few of the ones I have in general, which you may find insightful.

#1. Copyright issues. Many people have images in their talks that are not their own. In my case, any that are not my own, I've obtained permissions to use exclusively in live presentations. In the cases of some other talks...speakers may not have any permissions beyond their claims of fair use. In any case, there are certain copyright issues that come into play because of #2.

#2. Unauthorized rebroadcast. This is perhaps the main concern of most speakers. While many may think it's an "ego" thing, there are a few valid reasons. For some speakers, I'm sure it's an issue of "I don't want my talk on the internet because I want to be invited around to give my talk". Selfish in some people's minds, but hey, they invested days or weeks into creating the presentation, so such travel is one of the "payoffs" for all that hard work. More importantly though, unauthorized rebroadcasts can do two things. a) if copyright isn't clear and proper, it increases the likelihood that a speaker could wind up in a copyright-related bruhaha. I.e. I never asked people if I could put their images in a video online, so to have someone else do so could put me in hot water. b) if a presentation winds up online, it takes away from the investment that past and future clubs make in bringing out a speaker in the first place. I.e. what would be the attraction of going to MACNA if ever speaker's talk was already available, for free, online?

3. More copyright issues - I won't go into any details here other than to say that one of my early presentations wound up as a magazine article with someone else's name on it. Things like this are good reasons why some speakers are hesitant to be taped, to share their talks, or to give out copies. Some will do so quite freely, but in my case, I'll answer all the questions and emails you want, but you'll have to pry a copy of my talks from my cold dead hard drives ;) I learned my lesson.

4. Local club turnout. Ask yourself this - for the small group of people that did show up, how many fewer would there have been if all the PNWMAS members knew they could just watch the talk later on the club website?

5. Lack of quality control - if you give a bad talk, you learn from it and move on. If someone takes a bad video of your talk and posts it online, it lives forever.

6. Incidental issues - a good example of an incidental issue is IMAC. Back when I gave an IMAC talk, I did permit the taping of the tank (IMAC would sell copies of the talks on DVD later). Now, speakers didn't see any of that revenue, it all went to IMAC. On the surface, it's a fundraiser, all well and good. Sadly however, I personally ordered many copies and never got 'em.

7. Security - I've heard every "excuse" or "promise" in the book but the fact remains that even when something is said to be "secure" and "private" online, invariably it winds up otherwise. So even if a club said the copy was exclusively for their members, I'm frankly a bit untrusting / unconvinced that a private URL or members-only area won't get passed around. Thus, this does little to address the overall concerns that even an "authorized" broadcast could wind up being "unauthorized".

So in the end, for a myriad of reasons, speakers don't generally go for the video taping etc. It's a tough call. There have been times I've said "sure, tape, but we'll have to figure out if or how you can use it later". I.e. for MACNA...most of the organizers will not get to see ANY of the talks. That's a tough sacrifice for the club who is doing the organizing - they don't even get to enjoy their own event. In such a circumstance, it certainly would make sense to perhaps allow GIRS to record my talk explicitly for a later "showing" at a GIRS club meeting (and in fact I did authorize recording of my MACNA talk for those explicit GIRS purposes only, and so that I might personally view a copy to use as a learning tool for self improvement). Of course, I won't be pleased if I find the MACNA talk up on the web or for sale later.

Archived