Mixing birdsnest on plug.

cellowithgills

Take this with a grain of salt, but not sure if they would be ok, I would be afraid they would eventually fight and one would loose that spot...Its a good question though, as I have a crap load of Birdsnests that are super close to each other, and eventually I was planning on moving some to make room depending on growth rates...Hopefully someone with experience will chime in...its a really interesting and good question. The Monti Caps look awesome mixed together...

I have one large colony with two different types of birds nest, one does grow faster than the other. Also have a Monti Digi with a orange, green and purple on one rock, hoping they will grow together or connect branches

I have one large colony with two different types of birds nest' date=' one does grow faster than the other. Also have a Monti Digi with a orange, green and purple on one rock, hoping they will grow together or connect branches[/quote']

I did that exact same thing. The orange monti overgrew the other 2. It was in full on attack mode, only growing over the other 2 colors branches.

100_2679.jpg

I think doing it with birdsnest would give the same result.

I did that exact same thing. The orange monti overgrew the other 2. It was in full on attack mode, only growing over the other 2 colors branches.

100_2679.jpg

I think doing it with birdsnest would give the same result.

Hey Impur, sorry to get off the subject, but I see your purple digi is only purple near the tips. Mine has done the same thing....when I got the frag, it was totally purple, but now it is completely brown and no matter what I do, I can't get it to purple back up. It's the only coral I have that lost its color like that.....any ideas why?

This is a great topic, I have a bunch of different birdsnests, I am going to give this a try and see what happens, Also going to try it with Monti Caps...Got the Purple, just need Orange and Green...Would love to see pics of the Birdsnests that are growing together, I would have thought they would attack each other and one would loose...its interesting to hear others have tried it and it worked...very cool

mixedcaps1.jpg

limitededition_graftedmontipora.jpg

I have had birdsnests grow together without any issues.(larger colonies) I did glue different kinds together on the same plug once. It seemed successful for a couple months, good growth, even growing together. All of the sudden, less than 24 hrs, they would die. Lost all frags over about 2 or 3 weeks. I used 4 different kinds and made 4 plugs. Still thinking about trying it again with different combos.

I think it needs more light. I have just a frag of it now in my cube under MH' date=' its about half way up the tank and its getting nice and purple.[/quote']

I tried moving it high and nothing happened....maybe purple monti's aren't made to grow in my tank (sad)

Archived