Portland city tap water

Helenwheels

Does anyone in the city of Portland use tap water in their tank? I was reading the city's water quality report, and beside residual cloramines it seems to be very good. Just treating it with prime would sure be convenient, and I hate the waste from making RODI. Any thoughts?

I've used tap water before and it's like a night and day difference when compared to RODI. Fish and corals seem much happier in the RODI water. If I lived in Nevada or Arizona I might feel bad about wasting water. Some people route the excess to their garden so it doesn't all go to waste. I'll still use 5 gal or so of tap if i'm in a pinch.

I tried using tap water(treated with a chloromine reducer) for top off only. And stayed on the same water change schedule(12% weekly). This did not work out at all. The PO4 climbed to dangerous levels. Thus begining to kill off all the corals. Needless to say, I dont advise it. Wish I would have not been so cheap and lazy. Because I lost a few pieces of coral. Some are still healing at a LFS. The tank looks dismal at best. And to top it off(yes pun intended) it is going to be way more work, and money to fix it. Than it would have been to. Either transport the water from my LFS, or replace the RO unit I broke. This is the first time in three years in this hobby that I felt like just shutting down the tanks.

Does anyone in the city of Portland use tap water in their tank? I was reading the city's water quality report' date=' and beside residual cloramines it seems to be very good. Just treating it with prime would sure be convenient, and I hate the waste from making RODI. Any thoughts?[/quote']

I wouldn't recommend using the Portland water from the tap, cloramines are bad for the tank no matter how small amount. I use to just do the di part, as to not waste water, but still was getting huge algae and cyano outbreaks!

Beth

I wouldn't recommend using the Portland water from the tap' date=' cloramines are bad for the tank no matter how small amount. I use to just do the di part, as to not waste water, but still was getting huge algae and cyano outbreaks![/quote']

I just picked up a used 4 stage RODI unit (clap) that came with the standard 5 micron filters. Do I "NEED" the special cloramine carbon? I'm not even sure the LFSs I go to have the fancy cloramine filters, and if they do, they don't boast about it.

The tds coming out of my sink is 34. The tds out of my rodi is 0. I'm gonna stick with the 0. One high first investment and you will love the difference. A rodi is actually cheap compared to other equipment in this hobby.

The tds coming out of my sink is 34. The tds out of my rodi is 0. I'm gonna stick with the 0. One high first investment and you will love the difference. A rodi is actually cheap compared to other equipment in this hobby.

OMG, I live by Mall 205/Gateway and the TDS out of my faucet is 11- thats a swing

Portland has unbelievable water though. The bull run is one of only 6 like it in the country. Its such a weird phenom how the water gets from bull run lake and into the river etc and its unfiltered which is unheard of. The difference in water is the city also has a gigantic well field that they use as well which is entirely different water. Just my .02 worth

Archived