DIY Algae scrubber

markdadof2

thats pretty impressive growth for 10 days. Are you going to continue trying it out, and if so do you have 2 screens?

I have read its best to have more than 1 so one is always collecting while the other is cleaned or getting cleaned.

I will be having one on my future tank-4 screens I think.

You'll have to post up what reductions in PO4 and NO3 you experiance

I've been running this one for quite some time. It may have been more than 10 days since my last cleaning...but not a whole lot more than 10 I think. I wrote down the date when I cleaned it the other day so I'll know for sure. WHen I clean it I always leave some on there to help 'seed' new growth. I have a bunch more of the screening so I may just toss another one in the sump so I don't have any spikes when I clean the one....thanks for the idea!

They also reduce phospahate as well as nitrate. I spent quite some time reading on these back when I was getting back into reefing. It seems the person who I had followed the most back then (Santamonica) actually has designed units that you can purchase, back then it was still in its earlier phases.

I am unable to measure any phosphates with my test kits (salifert and Elos). I get no algae growing in my display, which is nice (wish I could get rid of the damned colonizing hydroids so easily).

ninkylou - exactly what the material is, and I even got it at michaels. I like the idea of controlling where the algae grows and not letting it pick where to grow :)

You can go to www.algaescrubber.net to find out a lot more about turf scrubbers. They can help reduce nitrates but they also provide a an area that promotes algae growth that will concentrate on the screen. I noticed that when I had mine running in the clownhouse that the algae in the tanks went down and the turf scrubber grew like crazy.

I remember you scrubber! Did you decide not to use it?

Been thinking about a scrubber now that I will have the room!

• 2 months later...

i have been wondering about lighting.if the scrubber is independent from your sump as in it has its own lighting would it be preferable to go with compact flourescents or T8s? and i have seen some really good growth with 6500 kelvin bulbs but i have heard some conflicting information with a warmer spectrum giving better algal growth more like 2700-4000 kelvins.your input would be greatly apreciated.

The best lighting is that which is even across the screen. So linear bulbs are the best, but are hard to install. 2700 or 3000K is the best color. Green algae prefers more red light. Here is an updated guideline: Nutrients "in" (feeding) must equal nutrients "out" (scrubber growth), no matter how many gallons you have. So...

An example VERTICAL waterfall screen size is 3 X 4 inches = 12 square inches of screen (7.5 X 10 cm = 75 sq cm) with a total of 12 real watts (not equivalent) of fluorescent light for 18 hours a day. If all 12 watts are on one side, it is a 1-sided screen. If 6 watts are on each side, it is a 2-sided screen, but the total is still 12 watts for 18 hours a day. This screen size and wattage should be able to handle the following amounts of daily feeding:

1 frozen cube per day (2-sided screen)

1/2 frozen cube per day (1-sided screen)

10 pinches of flake food per day (2-sided screen)

5 pinches of flake food per day (1-sided screen)

10 square inches (50 sq cm) of nori per day (2-sided screen)

5 square inches (50 sq cm) of nori per day (1-sided screen)

0.1 dry ounce (2.8 grams) of pellet food per day (2-sided screen)

0.05 dry ounce (1.4 grams) of pellet food per day (1-sided screen)

High-wattage technique: Double the wattage, and cut the hours in half (to 9 per day). This will get brown screens to grow green much faster. Thus the example above would be 12 watts on each side, for a total of 24 watts, but for only 9 hours per day. If growth starts to turn YELLOW, then increase the flow, or add iron, or reduce the number of hours. And since the bulbs are operating for 9 hours instead of 18, they will last 6 months instead of 3 months.

HORIZONTAL screens: Multiply the screen size by 4, and the wattage by 1.5

Flow is 24 hours, and is at least 35 gph per inch of width of screen [60 lph per cm], EVEN IF one sided or horizontal.

Very rough screen made of roughed-up-like-a-cactus plastic canvas.

Clean algae off of screen every 7 to 14 days, so that you can see the white screen material.

so something like this would work?

it's 32w t8 and the bulb it comes with is 4100k. I suppose a replacement bulb I'd look for would look for lower K like 2700, but this seems pretty functional. I'm thinking of trying to get some algae scrubbing going in my sump, or may in a bucket off the side of my sump.

Typically micro algae growth can be inhibited or greatly reduced by encouraging it's growth on a scrubber. The consentration of light, surface area, and open air access leads to a wonderful micro algae growth spot. I have thought about implementing scrubbers at the shop but I just don't have the room and like the look of macro algae better lol.

Another dumb question :)

Does that mean I can go skimmerless! I only have very small real-estate under the tank! Either scrubber or skimmer :(

Skimmer is tried and proven method but after reading the ATS link above, it seems skimmer may not be required! Anybody tried this?

I wish I had known this before!!!

I an going to shutdown my skimmer and build an algae scrubber. I took all my rock out that is being cooked right now. In that process, a lot of my thriving corals and two very healthy fish bit the dust! I know a lot of the corals will come back but it has been PIA.

Glad you folks have seen good results using a scrubber so far. I can help with any questions or special installations...

Have you ever heard of anyone utilizing an algae scrubber in a temperate/coldwater system? My tanks are in my garage and I have a couple returns that dump from the display tanks into the top of the sump tank I think I can use for the scrubbers. They are even near a window :)

Archived