Sand Star Sex or Violence

shaywood

• 2 months later...

Sand Star Sex or Violence

Well, I can assure you it is not violence! I have a 300 gallon reef. I also had one stand star, and then added a second. For the first month, they ignored each other. Then it started, 5 minutes or so each time, off and on, maybe a week at a time.

Now, for the past month, it is non-stop. I have to wonder how they get enough time to eat! AND, it IS consensual. The other night, each one was motivating along the sand in opposite directions. Their arm tips touched, and wham! They both moved towards the other one and one hopped on! Usually the same one is on top, but not always.

And I did take photos! These were tonight, and while they are rarely on the glass, they were tonight and the sex continued! Must be love!

http://www.socalspeedskating.org/images/temp/SandStarSex.jpg

http://www.socalspeedskating.org/images/temp/SandStarSex1.jpg

Jerry

I am pretty sure that they are breeding. The central disc on the top of many stars is the site of sexual exchange. Did any of you guys see a puff of stuff in the water around either of the stars at any point? Who knows maybe little babies will just pop up one day.You guys will definetaly have to sell me a couple if so. LOL. I just wish it were easier to keep the little niderian babies alive so that we could propigate these things. Anyways awesome find!!!!

And to you star fish, try to keep that business under the sand. For the sake of the children, jeeze!