It's time for auto dosing, but which method is right for me?

Hog Head

Well, I am tired of manual dosing and I want to leap into automatic. But, is a calc reactor or 2 part the right method for me? Right now it is a 100 gal tank but it will become at least a 210 or possibly a 300. Which one will work the best? I have read plenty about the damage that can be caused by the sudden drop in ph from the reactor and all the cool gadgets. What I really want is to watch everything grow and not fiddle with the gadgets so much. I am contemplating the Litermeter III or a Korallin Calc reactor. Opinions? What would you choose and why? I know the end expense of 2 part dosing is more expensive, but it also seems like it is a bit safer. Don't misread this, I have not made up my mind yet. Thanks for the help.

Gene

I've done manual dosing, and had a CA reactor. The pH problem with the reactor caused me to ditch it, and you know how manual dosing goes. So i just bought a Bubble Magus BM-T01 triple doser. This thing is COOL! 3 individually controllable pumps in 1 unit. I bought the bulk supplements from BRS, so for about $300 total (includes pump, alk, calcium, mag supplements) I can maintain my params perfectly. I've got enough supplements to last me at least a year.

This is the way to go IMO. Don't have to worry about messing with the reactor, or dumping in alk/calcium several times a day each day.

I've done manual dosing, and had a CA reactor. The pH problem with the reactor caused me to ditch it, and you know how manual dosing goes. So i just bought a Bubble Magus BM-T01 triple doser. This thing is COOL! 3 individually controllable pumps in 1 unit. I bought the bulk supplements from BRS, so for about $300 total (includes pump, alk, calcium, mag supplements) I can maintain my params perfectly. I've got enough supplements to last me at least a year.

This is the way to go IMO. Don't have to worry about messing with the reactor, or dumping in alk/calcium several times a day each day.

I did most of my reading at RC. All they talked about was the Litermeter and Profilux units. Is the Bubble Magus comparable?

BRS has their bulletproof dosers on sale right now for $69 too! I'm running them and it makes things so simple. I thought about reactor too, but seemed way too complicated (and I actually LIKE more mechanical stuff) and prone to possible problems.

I have a brand new one, still in the box. If anyone wants it, i will let it go $60. you don't need to wait and don't need to pay shipping.

BRS has their bulletproof dosers on sale right now for $69 too! I'm running them and it makes things so simple. I thought about reactor too' date=' but seemed way too complicated (and I actually LIKE more mechanical stuff) and prone to possible problems.[/quote']

We have a calcium reactor on one tank and the doser on the other. The pros with the calcium reactor is now that it is dialed in (finally) it's actually very low maintenance. The cons is the solenoid has failed and other things have failed on it but fortunately nothing bad happened to the corals.

The doser has more flexibility in that we can dose calcium , magnesium, and alk but Beth but they are also not fail proof. The alk dropped rapidly when we were away because the container was almost empty and it was not able to be pumped out. It is also more expensive having to constantly dose.

I"m thinking for my frag tank that I will just use a calcium reactor because the zoas and lps don't seem to be as sensitive to alk changes and it is just easier.

We have a calcium reactor on one tank and the doser on the other. The pros with the calcium reactor is now that it is dialed in (finally) it's actually very low maintenance. The cons is the solenoid has failed and other things have failed on it but fortunately nothing bad happened to the corals.

The doser has more flexibility in that we can dose calcium , magnesium, and alk but Beth but they are also not fail proof. The alk dropped rapidly when we were away because the container was almost empty and it was not able to be pumped out. It is also more expensive having to constantly dose.

I"m thinking for my frag tank that I will just use a calcium reactor because the zoas and lps don't seem to be as sensitive to alk changes and it is just easier.

Or use good reservoirs made for dosing. The ones with rigid tubing going down to the bottom

I think we need bigger reservoirs. It looks like everytime I turn around Beth is refilling the darn things and we learned our lesson about the tubing!

I have not dosed so I cant comment on that, always ran a Calcium Reactor. Once set up and running only minor adjustments need to be made as demand changes which I assume is the same with dosing. When I had my 180g I only ran it about 12hrs (same as light cycle) and could make adjustments with time to keep Alk and Calcium balanced. I do not run it with Ph turning on and off, I have a high and low set but adjust C02 to maintain 6.4 high demand/6.5 low, am running it 24/7 with the 250g

What about running Kalk. I use to manualy dose BRS 2 part plus Mag. What a PITA. I changed to Kalk a few months ago and love it. I still use the 2 part to make small adjustments but for the most part I mix the Kalk put it in my ATO, test every two weeks adjust if needed. Done! If you go this route start slow and adjust from their.

Her is a great article if you have not seen it. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

Well, I am tired of manual dosing and I want to leap into automatic. But, is a calc reactor or 2 part the right method for me? Right now it is a 100 gal tank but it will become at least a 210 or possibly a 300. Which one will work the best? I have read plenty about the damage that can be caused by the sudden drop in ph from the reactor and all the cool gadgets. What I really want is to watch everything grow and not fiddle with the gadgets so much. I am contemplating the Litermeter III or a Korallin Calc reactor. Opinions? What would you choose and why? I know the end expense of 2 part dosing is more expensive, but it also seems like it is a bit safer. Don't misread this, I have not made up my mind yet. Thanks for the help.

Gene

What about running Kalk. I use to manualy dose BRS 2 part plus Mag. What a PITA. I changed to Kalk a few months ago and love it. I still use the 2 part to make small adjustments but for the most part I mix the Kalk put it in my ATO, test every two weeks adjust if needed. Done! If you go this route start slow and adjust from their.

Her is a great article if you have not seen it. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

The problem with the kalk for me was that it would be thick and would eventually plug the line and all of a sudden it would dump a bunch of kalk. Fortunately nothing ever happened to the corals but I was afraid that one day it would just dump a bunch of kalk and kill everything similar to what happened to oxx. Things were doing well enough without it. At first we had some fluctuations with the alk but bottom line the corals were doing well without it.

The problem with the kalk for me was that it would be thick and would eventually plug the line and all of a sudden it would dump a bunch of kalk. Fortunately nothing ever happened to the corals but I was afraid that one day it would just dump a bunch of kalk and kill everything similar to what happened to oxx. Things were doing well enough without it. At first we had some fluctuations with the alk but bottom line the corals were doing well without it.

Kalk dosed with ato is in relation with your evaporation rate, which is not constant.

Usually you end up with high ca and low alk.

At night, when you need a ph boost, you dose less because the evaporation is low.

During the day you dose more. So the delta of the ph is big, adding stress.

If you can split your ato pouring kalk or just ro water depending on ph, then it is a great way to dose

Read about oxx's kalk disaster...

Anything that can destroy years of work in a matter of hours is scary to me...

I've used dosers, reactors, but am back to the tried and true method of manual dosing.

Takes maybe 20 seconds per day...I prefer micromanagement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just switched from 2 part to a calcium reactor. My PH has dropped about .2 points but I also just got Co2 absorbing media and hoping to finally get it installed in the next couple of days. Been really really busy. I like both options, but in the end I like the reactor better. It is a constant consistent drip so all of your levels stay the same all the time. Plus it drips back in trace elements from the coral skeletons that you are not going to get with 2 part. However I also do weekly 10% water changes so I don't know how much that really matters. I like this a lot better than the constant rise and fall you get when dosing 2 part. I had my 2 part on dosing pumps as well, but being the anal person that I am, I always would have to run my tests for calcium and alk 10-15 minutes before my dosing pumps would come on. This way I figured I would get the most accurate reading of how I needed to adjust. I had them both coming on 6 times a day. I think both have there positives and negatives and it's just a matter of what appeals to you, and how you like things to tick.

Here is abreakdown cost/beifit on CA vs 2 part vs Kalk:

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/component/zine/article/44

I started out with Kalk dosing via slurry. Moved to Kalk reactor dosing on a

controller up to 5 times per night on a very short cycle. Would adjust my CA and

Alk with 2 part manually (maybe once a week). I was doing this without my ATO

because my evaporation is inconsistent. One of the main problems with higher

Kalk dosing is Mag depletion. Mag dosing is expensive.

I still Kalk dose but I only run it for 2 cycles a night. I have had a CA reactor set

up for about a month and absolutely love it. It is not as difficult as might be

thought although the initial expense is high if you get good equipment. CA

equipment is not a good place to "cheap out".

There are great examples of significant coral growth through all three methods.

For me a CA reactor has been a godsend. I have some very happy corals now!(laugh)

I also use Kalk as a benefit to the system and to maintain Ph a little. I have a reactor that My ATO runs thru, it is gravity fed based on evaporation. I only stir the kalk twice, once at night and once early in the am. Normally my Ph will run 7.9-8.1 with the kalk, I dont chase Ph numbers I like the lower range

Archived