what lighting should i put over a 40b

Dustin

got the tank now trying to figure out lighting hoping to keep it rlatively cheap so used stuff would b good but t5, MH, LED i know t5 will penetrate shallower and led r expensive but mh are bulky and hot and expensive so what r some suggestions

Mh is probably not a good option for a 40b, unless you put one that can cover more than 2 feet. Most of them cover well about 2 feet.

You could also have heat issues if you don't have a cooling system for it.

T5 are a good option. It is not true that they penetrate less deeply. You have to get a good unit with individual (good quality) reflector and active cooling. It will perform like a mh. Probably more because you can opt for one with 36 inches bulbs.

Led's are a good option, as you said they can be expensive.

Hope this helps

http://www.opentip.com/Pet-Supplies/Hagen-Glo-Retrofit-High-Output-Electronic-Fluorescent-Lighting-System-p-1545823.html i

i think this is the 48" but they also sell a 36" its a little lower wattage i belive also tat2d gave me an idea yesterday i mentioned emily and i were looking for lighting and he suggested setting the tanks up side by side on the same stand and running mh over the pair is that something that would b achievable with two mh and possibly some t5's i have clays setup in my mind he has an mh on either end of his 210 and runs like 8 t5's between them also i have a hundred gallon tank thats all scratched up i may use as a sump and it would fit perfectly under the two 40bs any opinions

i looked up par38 leds the cheapest ones are $34 and the aquarium one i saw was $119 at that price i may aswell have upinder build me an adjustible led fixture haha which im not completely against if im gonna b spending the same money on something else

i belive also tat2d gave me an idea yesterday i mentioned emily and i were looking for lighting and he suggested setting the tanks up side by side on the same stand and running mh over the pair is that something that would b achievable with two mh and possibly some t5's i have clays setup in my mind he has an mh on either end of his 210 and runs like 8 t5's between them also i have a hundred gallon tank thats all scratched up i may use as a sump and it would fit perfectly under the two 40bs any opinions

my apologies, Dustin. I forgot the 40 b is 3 feet long. 2 halides probably wouldn't be your best bet. If you have to start from scratch, I think t-5s would be the most cost effective and efficient way to go. You can grow pretty much anything under em, and not nearly the power and heat issues.

ok sounds good right now i have 3x 48" 2 bulb t5 fixtures and emily has the fixture with 4x 48" t5's and the 2 metal halides in the middle (we both had 48" tanks in mind when buying lights) would some combination of these b ok im thinking of building a canopy that fits over both tanks but idk maybe itll b easier to just do seperate lighting over each and use a smaller sump

my only snag at this point with the lighting is everything i have is too long and shorter stuff is hard to find used it seems like so buying new im thinking if i go that route im gonna do a diy led if its gonna end up being around the same i like the look

ive been researching it for a couple days and for less than 300 i could build a dimmable LED fixture so unless some one wants to sell me a good lighting setup for cheap i think im gonna go with LED's i now just need to save some money up i appreciate everyones input and advice

ive been researching it for a couple days and for less than 300 i could build a dimmable LED fixture so unless some one wants to sell me a good lighting setup for cheap i think im gonna go with LED's i now just need to save some money up i appreciate everyones input and advice

Archived