Clowns

jonas

I have two black and white clowns. They finally hosted my rbta about three weeks ago and ever since have started fighting. Are they trying to figure out who is gonna be male and female? If so how long will they battle? One of them is getting pretty beat up. Or are they fighting over the nem?

you could have had two females all along... Yes mostt of the time the female is much bigger than the male... but not in all clown fish...

Also you could have just have owned a smaller female.

Or sometimes a pair will fight over an Anemone, the female can push the boy around.. but not normally real bad... Did they change tanks or are they in the same tank? If they change tanks and they werent in the same containers the female often forgets the male.. and they have to get re aquainted

I have a pair of false percs. that never share the anemone.. and she is in both anemones and he isnt allowed close to either, so he houses in my frog spawn. and I have had this pair breeding....

Some times the female clown doesnt like what the male is doing or not doing in the tank and she will fin nip to get them todo it..

When my boy tomato wouldnt attend to the clutch of eggs because he was eating she fin nipped him into going and doing what she wanted...

I always see female clowns as always PMS'ing.. and I can say that cause im a chick

They have both been in the same tank all along. They slept and swam together the whole time untill they started hosting the nem. The one hosting the nem is the smaller one. The big one is about 1-1/2 inches and the smaller one is just a tad bit smaller. The smaller one was about a half inch smaller before they started hosting the nem. Then it grew quick. Oh yea they both hosted the nem at first but now the big one gets close to it the little one bites at him and they will get face to face and start twitching at each other. Really weird.

The twitching is normal for clowns to do towards one another. It is a sign of submission in the pair forming. If the larger one is about an 1-1/2" now then I would say that they are starting to establish dominance for the pair bond and female identification. If you have had them for six months and they are the size you stated I would doubt that either is female yet but the transformation may be beginning.

Archived