Crabs dying, please help

J-Dog

In the last 2 weeks, I've gotten 4 new crabs (2 emeralds and 2 sally's). As of today, 3 of them have died and I have no idea why. Can anyone help me solve this mystery? Is there not enough food for them in my tank? I thought invert were supposed to be the easiest things to keep alive? I am lost (sad)

In the last 2 weeks' date=' I've gotten 4 new crabs (2 emeralds and 2 sally's). As of today, 3 of them have died and I have no idea why. Can anyone help me solve this mystery? Is there not enough food for them in my tank? I thought invert were supposed to be the easiest things to keep alive? I am lost (sad)[/quote']

Are you sure they died? Crabs molt, so sometimes you will see their empty shells and think they died when they are fine.

If they really died what are your test results and what other animals do you have in the tank?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Check and see if they are just molts and not really dead.. Sometimes new invert additions will molt. Both sally's and emeralds molt. Hold the body up to a bright light. You should see through it if it's a molt.

Mitchell, I think we just posted at same time. I was thinking molts too.

Do you have any other inverts in your tank like shrimp. If not, I would worry about copper. Even if there wasn't enough food I wouldn't think that 2 weeks would be enough time for them to die of starvation. Also what kind of fish do you have?

1+ on both a possible molting and copper. Is this the tank you just got? or is this a different one?

Parameters would help a bit, salinity, temp, ph, nitrites, phosphates, ammonia. What else do you have in the tank?

Ok, let me try to answer all of the questions.....first off, I know they didn't molt, cuz I've seen lots of crab and shrimp molts since I've had my tank and these were dead bodies (plus my CUC was eating them after they died). My tank has been running for about 1 year now and this is the first time I've had inverts die. I had another emerald from when I first got this tank setup, but it turned white and died months later since there was no algae for it to eat. All my parameters are good.....I only have 2 clowns, a damsel, and a cleaner shrimp as tank inhabitants.

Tanktop74, I don't know what u mean by asking if this is the tank I just got. I've only had 1 tank....by the way, I've had the 2 clowns, the damsel, and the cleaner shrimp for months now with no issues.

Tanktop74, I don't know what u mean by asking if this is the tank I just got. I've only had 1 tank....by the way, I've had the 2 clowns, the damsel, and the cleaner shrimp for months now with no issues.

I think that she was thinking this was Jfish who just bought a tank. Too confusing with all the names..(laugh)

Sorry to hear about your invert problems. It could also just be poor shipments from the LFS. Not that it's their fault but you really just never know with this hobby. I think I still have a few emeralds in my tank but I have no idea now. They used to come out but I guess I just don't really see them in the tank much anymore. I did sell a few huge ones awhile back as well. Only time will tell if they pop out of the darkness.

I was having the same issue, all of the water parameters that I was testing for were fine. I took water the the LFS and had them test it for copper, it was kind of my last idea. Negative for copper but she asked me about Magnesium, she checked it and it was over 1700...apparently inverts do not like this and they felt it could account for my crab and snail death. I have been using Reef Crystals without really having any hard corals to use up the calcium & Mag. I switched back to regular IO salt mix at their suggestion, to reduce the added minerals. (I have been having Calcium around 500 as well.) and hopefully all will be good. Sooooo maybe get your Magnesium checked.

Another note to add is that crabs and inverts will kill each other sometimes for food or their shell. I've witnessed a hermit kill a snail and use it's shell after it finished eating the snail.

Nothing worse than coming home to a hermit wearing a brand new conch shell (sad)

As Noob said... I was thinking of the other J named guy JFish.... Sorry man.

I was having the same issue' date=' all of the water parameters that I was testing for were fine. I took water the the LFS and had them test it for copper, it was kind of my last idea. Negative for copper but she asked me about Magnesium, she checked it and it was over 1700...apparently inverts do not like this and they felt it could account for my crab and snail death. I have been using Reef Crystals without really having any hard corals to use up the calcium & Mag. I switched back to regular IO salt mix at their suggestion, to reduce the added minerals. (I have been having Calcium around 500 as well.) and hopefully all will be good. Sooooo maybe get your Magnesium checked.[/quote']

I just started dosing to get my alk and calcium up this past week.....alk is up to about 9-10, calcium about 450, and I tested for mag before I started dosing and it was about 1300. I will test mag again, but I don't think it could have gotten any higher without me dosing it.

Shan, what about salinity? What are u using to test the salinity? Call me paranoid, but I use three refractoneters to test my salinity. Inverts are especially sensitive to salinity.

I wouldn't suspect copper because this tank was new when he bought and the corals are good...

His alk went from 7 to 10 over the course of a couple weeks, I wouldnt think this to be the culprit either.

Have a lfs check salinity, or bring me some water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just have a basic refractometer to test for salinity. I keep it high, around 1.026, but maybe that's too high.....I heard corals like higher salinity, so that's why I raised it up. Just another mistake from the reef noob!

I just started dosing to get my alk and calcium up this past week.....alk is up to about 9-10' date=' calcium about 450, and I tested for mag before I started dosing and it was about 1300. I will test mag again, but I don't think it could have gotten any higher without me dosing it.[/quote']

Unless you are using a "Reef" salt mix and nothing is using up the added magnesium. That was my issue.

How about the clowns or damsel are REAL mean or you have a secret mantis?

i would think that he wouldnt see much of a body left if that was the case. Our mantis shredded the emerald crab we fed it though he is a new addition to the fish room I've never seen him leave much behind that wasn't pulverized.

Archived