Powerhead recommendation for 60 gallon tank

marinehrnt

Just setting up my new 60 gallon tank and looking for some ideas on powerheads. I'm thinking that two Koralia 1050's with a wavemaker would be enough? I'm thinking of a mixed reef at some point in the future and want to get the correct powerheads the first time around. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

"...a mixed reef at some point in the future and want to get the correct powerheads the first time around."

If you want to do it right the first time around, you have two choices: Tunze, or Vortech

The tunze's are great options...you can always find them used, and they run quiet and smooth...and super powerful...and adjustable. Usually you can get two powerheads and a controller for less that $300

Of course an MP40ES would be your best option, but not many people are looking to shell out $400+ on a single powerhead....though you will probably never have to upgrade,

Of course an MP40ES would be your best option' date=' but not many people are looking to shell out $400+ on a single powerhead....though you will probably never have to upgrade,[/quote']

That would be my choice the MP40 is supposed to push water 4'. What are the dimensions on a 60 gallon tank?

I would go vortech. They look better, they run cooler, and the control of flow is great. Second option would be tunze, but you are going to spend almost as much money. Koralia is ok on the cheap, but they are prone to problems over time and look quite bulky.

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like the best solution is the Vortech or the Tunze. Both are a little more then I was planning on spending but from the sounds of it are worth the price in the long run. I'm trying to avoid buying cheap and buying twice.

Archived