Black substrate anyone?

J-Dog

I was thinking about removing my current substrate and switching over to black. I've seen a few pictures of tanks with black, and to me it looks awesome. Does anyone know where I could get a good deal on black substrate? I've seen the Tahitian moon sand online, but it sounds like it's too fine a substrate. I don't want something super fine that's gonna be blowing all over the place. If anyone has an opinion on the black, please chime in. I like hearing everyone's ideas on different subjects, thanks. (clap)(clap)

They look cool, but they are a pita to keep clean. In a few weeks you will have a grey substrate.

I've been there and I don't recommend it

Agreed. Its been tried many times but ends up looking grey and sickly. Many cheap sources leech phosphates bad. I suppose if you are good a keeping sugar sand white you are ok. But usually people end up siphoning it out. Spendy mistake

They look cool, but they are a pita to keep clean. In a few weeks you will have a grey substrate.

I've been there and I don't recommend it

If it started turning grey, wouldn't that mean it's time to clean the substrate? It would be like having a timer telling u when to clean the bottom of the tank. Might help to be reminded every so often.....who knows, maybe I'm making excuses cuz I wanna get the black lol

I've had black as well for a while but everything was just to dark for my liking so I mixed it with cc so it was blended which looked pretty cool but I ended up changing to aragonite because the tank just wasn't as bright as it could be, also if you don't get a good black substrate (I had black beauty which was a bad choice) it could be a chore to keep your levels where you want them I had to dose Ph buffer all the time and it never stayed consistent which is another reason why I changed they have that bioactiv aragonite in black but I don't know much about it I would do some research before making a quick buy on something you like

I have white in my 90 and Black in my 55. The black is tahitian moon I got out of a guys tank other than the white rubble rocks on the surface I like it alot. J-dog You are welcome to come by and check it out when you Have time. Thanks for the frags btw they are open and looking good just the color I needed in there

I have white in my 90 and Black in my 55. The black is tahitian moon I got out of a guys tank other than the white rubble rocks on the surface I like it alot. J-dog You are welcome to come by and check it out when you Have time. Thanks for the frags btw they are open and looking good just the color I needed in there

Thanks for the offer....maybe next time I'm in your area, i'll give u a call and stop by. Glad to hear the frags are doing well, they should grow super fast!

Archived