Show me your sump!

tidalsculpin

I created a sump from a 20 gallon. I put in one of those cheap dividers to separate the return/skimmer area. The accordian tubing still has the top of a wet dry cover on it to keep it further from the return area. I have live sand in the inflow area. Chaeto grows nicely there. My light is propped up by the skimmer.

So, problems include sand getting into the return area. Chaeto getting in the skimmer. Collecting detritus in the sand area and overall sloppiness. I want to "clean it up "to work better and be more efficient. I have read that having a refugium needs to be slower flow and that it's better to put it after the main return area.

So here it is in all it's naked beauty.

th_Image091.jpg

sump.jpg

water dumps in the right back corner in the 4" x 4" chamber, its designed so the air bubbles have to travel to the bottom. The skimmer (ASM G-3) sits in that compartment with 2-200 watt heaters, then through 3 baffles (1.5" inches apart) to center refugium, then on to the left compartment through the three baffles for return area and top off float valve.

Its 15" wide and 18" tall and about 50" long has a nice size refugium pushing 500 GPH matched with skimmer, was running 1000 gph but it didn't make any difference so I slowed it down.

The baffling is overkill but there is absolutely no air bubble problem and room to grow.

Dennis,

Youv'e got a lot in there! Is that a Nitrate reducer in the back? That is some thick acrylic too. Is that a "berlin style" sump?

Miles or Nyles,

Looks like I should go sump inflow / skimmer/

bubble trap / / fuge / / return pump section.

How do I determine proper height of the glass pieces?

Skimmer area should have a pool 8 inches or 9 inches high.

Fuge lower ?

Here is mine, on the left is in the intake, the bioballs just catch bubbles and act as a breeding ground for little shrimp, filter sponge on the left and mag drive pump. and some nice water damage from the previous owner of the stand

DSCN0294.jpg

And here is a close up of the sponges growing all over the sump and the second pic is sponges in the overflow

DSCN0295.jpg

DSCN0296.jpg

Heres a super simple 100 gallon sump i made from scratch for my 225.

This pic was taken right after start up. the probes arent there, and i have modded the skimmer some.

3 baffles with lots of space, first baffle controls the water level for the skimmer. No socks, sponges or anything else needed. Only thing in the chamber on the right is a submersible return pump

g4.jpg

Joel, are you doing a refugium? What skimmer? What return? These all make a difference, flow through system, height in skimmer area.... Etc, Etc... If you have the room its nice to have the refugium separate, but I love the way mine is, very happy with results.

Joel' date=' are you doing a refugium? What skimmer? What return? These all make a difference, flow through system, height in skimmer area.... Etc, Etc... If you have the room its nice to have the refugium separate, but I love the way mine is, very happy with results.[/quote']

Goal is to make this a larger mixed reef. zoas, lps, and a few easier sps frags.

This is going to be for fly guy's old 80 Gallon. I want to increase the 60 to an 80 gallon system. I hope to have 600 gph of flow through the sump with a fuge. I picked up a used Euroreef skimmer cs6-1 a few months back (like the newer cs-100). It takes up more room than my CSS65 in the picture above.

I will probably use a 750 gph return. I currently have an old rio2500 running there.

The chaeto has been great to control nitrate levels in my cheap sump. The pods in fuge area are a great teaching tool too. I like the idea of a separate refugium in a ten or something. I just am not sure how or where to plumb it to.

I think 20 long would be plenty big enough if I make a separate fuge.

• 2 weeks later...
Id show mine but its a mess and nothing Id wanna show. LOL

shhh Jody

Here is mine...I got this from Flyguy on here and I love this set up of the sump...

I have a external skimmer, so this really works out for me, cause the water falls into the first section and runs through the carbon and purigen...I assume this is an old style sump, but I really like it...

sumppic.jpg