Amazing Live Rock

Breefcase

Always figured if I was going to set up another tank, i would get some gulf rock instead of pacific rock. Well, here it is:

Rock4.jpg

Rock3.jpg

Rock2.jpg

Rock1.jpg

Rock5.jpg

Pretty amazing amount of life on it. Very nice red/orange sponge, that is supposed to be bulletproof, we'll see.

Nice variety of macros and sponges! Are the polyps in the third pic alive? they look more like skeletons, but cant really tell for sure. Is the idea for the new tank to center it around what comes out of the rock? Would be pretty nice smaller tank with that rock some inverts and a couple smaller fish.

I have thought about getting some rock like this in the past as well. I've heard mixed reviews. One person even got an octopus as a hitchhiker. Might be a different place but looked very similar.

Very nice rock though

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

The rock is uncured, shipped air freight, wrapped in paper towels. His name is Dale, Florida Live rock, http://floridaliverock.com/ He dives for the rock, and ships direct to you. (real nice guy)

As far as hitchikers (unwanted or otherwise) we'll have to wait and see what happens. My biggest concern is getting a mantis that eats fish, or corals. They can be trapped, though.

What looks like polyps, in the third pic, is actually a stony coral (tubastrea?) on two of the other rocks are brains (favia or favites? don't know)

This is the "select" rock $5.99 plus freight of about $1/lb.

When I got my LR I was actually unpacking the crates that it came in as the UPS guy had just dropped it off. I was pealing wet newspaper of each piece and picked out what I wanted. When I got it home I just kinda roughed it up with a toothbrush and then hosed it off. I was trying to get some of the chunky junk off, but not be too rough in the hope of preserving life. Well, my cycle was a moster with ammonia, nitrites and nitrates off the charts for several weeks. Many 50% water changes were done. So in my experience not much survives, but I cant say how long the rock was in transit which could make a big difference. The hose prolly pissed off anything that had much chance of making it too:p

• 2 weeks later...

Archived