Red turf algae

impur

I was wondering how you guys deal with this stuff. Its terrible! Its growing on the plastice overflow in my tank, on rocks, on eggcrate, on pvc, on anything plastic and even on frag plugs. Nyles suggested an urchin. I only have a small amt of rock and plan to try cooking it first. But i've got to avoid it getting on some new rock i'll have to put in for the filtration. How would I do that?

This is the stuff, the red stuff on the frag disc

000_0083.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got it as well, I have 2 large urchins in my tank and the stuff is only on one rock. I think the urchins keep it down but they dont like going on this rock because it is in a ton of flow. Not sure though. Ive never looked into getting rid of it, (time..)

Ive got it as well' date=' I have 2 large urchins in my tank and the stuff is only on one rock. I think the urchins keep it down but they dont like going on this rock because it is in a ton of flow. Not sure though. Ive never looked into getting rid of it, (time..)[/quote']

I would agree, urchins would probably be best...But honestly, the way I look at some of this stuff is that, we are not doing anything wrong when we have algae...anyone who has dove on a reef will see it is covered in algae...Think about if there was none on the reef, how many fish would be gone. There is a thread on RC that discusses this...This kind of sounds like an excuse for having it, but oh well. My girlfriend likes my bubble algae, she thinks it is really pretty. And people that come over never say anything about it, so it us hobbyist that are so worried about it. I have learned to deal with my algae...

You might try an urchin however and hope that would work...they do a great job, I would get one, but it would knock some rocks over and I do not want to take that risk...(laugh)

I am going to try an urchin. Nyles suggested it a few times to me. I want a small one though. Ontop of that i'm going to cook a few rocks that are completely engulfed in the stuff.

What kind...I know blue tuxedos, are great urchins, but I am not sure if they would touch it...you might see what kind Joel is talking about...but keep us posted...

miles, you can have my long spine urchin. He's like maybe 5-6" tip to tip, and body is around 2". Not sure if he eats that stuff though. I only have the red turf on a frag plug that can't be reached by the urchin, no where else in the tank has that algae. If only he wasn't that big and keeps knocking stuff over, I would still keep him. He's too big for my little 29.

Long spine is what I have, but Ive never seen them working on it.

I checked Sprungs book "algae" it recommended diadema (long spine) urchin.

be careful with any urchin in an acrylic tank, their "beak" will etch the acrylic, be sure and keep them off the tank walls.