Diatom question

J-Dog

I just read something about plastic materials being added to your tank may cause silicate levels to increase. If this is true, could that be causing my diatom problem? I purchased a few frags that were attached to plastic golf tees. They've been in my tank for about 6 months, but I'm not sure if the plastic is somehow degrading. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Have u taken them off the tees yet? Definitely do that.

I don't know the chemical composition of golf tees,but it's possible they could leach silicates.

I'd just glue the frags to your rock and get rid of the possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get rid of the tees just because they are ugly. If your tank is fairly new you will get some diatom algae for a while. New tanks always go through algae stages until everything in the tank balances out. Just keep up and tank maintenance and do your water changes with RO/DI water.

I thought His tank was newer than that. What type of substrate do you have?

Not really sure.....bought live sand from the LFS. Why would the type of substrate matter? What's funny is I never had any algae problems in the first 6 months my tank was running....so I have no idea why I'm having problems now.

Not sure about plastic leaching into tanks. But to fix the diatoms I would keep doing the water changes and throw in some more snails. More snails seemed to help control the diatoms when I first cycled my tank.

I wouldn't worry about plastic. Plastic is a mainstay in marine aquariums and it would be impossible to avoid it. Ceramic will leach silica and so will your sand. Diatoms are like a male and female rabbit locked in a garden full of vegetables, eventually there will be too many rabbits and not enough food and all of the rabbits will die off. Diatoms will do the same thing, they will use up all the silicates and then die off.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Diatoms are a natural part of a reef. My 75gal was 5 years old and still got diatoms, but i had critters to eat em up. Are we talking a little on the glass or sand here and there or are we talking diatoms covering everything?

J dog how old are your lights? This could also be a factor of why you have diatoms. The color in our bulbs change when they get older producing a lower K rating which can encourage growth. It seems like diatoms are mostly caused by a high nutrient system. How often are you changing your water? Have you checked your nitrate test kit with one from a lfs?

It would seem like you answered the light question in the other thread you started.

Edit: I went back and read your other thread, do you use any other power heads in your systems besides the pumps? You might not have enough circulation in your system. Do you have any sand sifting fish or starfish?

Not sure about plastic leaching into tanks. But to fix the diatoms I would keep doing the water changes and throw in some more snails. More snails seemed to help control the diatoms when I first cycled my tank.

I do weekly water changes and have a ton of snails already. I have ceriths, nassarius, and a big turbo snail.....what other kinds would I need?

Diatoms are a natural part of a reef. My 75gal was 5 years old and still got diatoms' date=' but i had critters to eat em up. Are we talking a little on the glass or sand here and there or are we talking diatoms covering everything?[/quote']

I am talking about diatoms covering half my substrate (and now getting some on the lower live rock). When the lights come on, they grow thicker and thicker, until the lights go off. Then they seem to die down to hardly anything, until the next time the lights come on.

J dog how old are your lights? This could also be a factor of why you have diatoms. The color in our bulbs change when they get older producing a lower K rating which can encourage growth. It seems like diatoms are mostly caused by a high nutrient system. How often are you changing your water? Have you checked your nitrate test kit with one from a lfs?

It would seem like you answered the light question in the other thread you started.

Edit: I went back and read your other thread, do you use any other power heads in your systems besides the pumps? You might not have enough circulation in your system. Do you have any sand sifting fish or starfish?

I have two Koralia 1's w/wavemaker for extra flow......I don't have any sand sifters. I used to have a dragon goby (bought it for the first diatom outbreak) but it died for no apparent reason. I didn't really think sifters were really needed to keep the substrate clean.

I would invest in a Diamond Goby if I were you' date=' IMO they are the best worker out of all the sand sifters. I would never be with out a sand sifter in my tank of some kind.[/quote']

I appreciate all of the advice, but is a Diamond Goby the answer to my diatom problem?

Do you have anything in your sand bed doing any work for you ie Nassarius snails, sand sifting starfish, sandsifting cucumber or anything like that? I am no expert by any means but it seems like all the issues that would cause your problem have been addressed. I do know that having some workers in your sand is a good thing. If I am wrong can we get some others that have more experience than I to chime in an help with this problem.

Well seeing that I'm much more experienced than you...(laugh) (Brandon has helped me out a lot over the past year or so) I would have to agree with you. I can't even count how many snails I have in the tank anymore. I do have 1 tigertail cucumber and also a sand sifting starfish. I have always had bad luck with gobys (great jumpers).

Do you have anything in your sand bed doing any work for you ie Nassarius snails' date=' sand sifting starfish, sandsifting cucumber or anything like that? I am no expert by any means but it seems like all the issues that would cause your problem have been addressed. I do know that having some workers in your sand is a good thing. If I am wrong can we get some others that have more experience than I to chime in an help with this problem.[/quote']

Can we see some pictures to see how bad it is? I get a little algae on my sand were it doesn't get much flow, but I just stir it up when I do a water change and it go away. A goby will stir up your sand, but you can do the same thing, so if you don't want a goby don't get. A goby is not a necessary part of a reef tank.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Do you have anything in your sand bed doing any work for you ie Nassarius snails' date=' sand sifting starfish, sandsifting cucumber or anything like that? I am no expert by any means but it seems like all the issues that would cause your problem have been addressed. I do know that having some workers in your sand is a good thing. If I am wrong can we get some others that have more experience than I to chime in an help with this problem.[/quote']

If u look at page 2 of this thread, I said that I have tons of snails....but not sand sifters. My goal is to stop what's causing the diatoms, not mask the problem by stirring up the sand.

Can we see some pictures to see how bad it is? I get a little algae on my sand were it doesn't get much flow' date=' but I just stir it up when I do a water change and it go away. A goby will stir up your sand, but you can do the same thing, so if you don't want a goby don't get. A goby is not a necessary part of a reef tank.[/quote']

Here is my original thread about my diatoms (pictures included)....it's 5 times worse since I took these pics.....http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?26884-Algae-identification-problem

If u look at page 2 of this thread, I said that I have tons of snails....but not sand sifters. My goal is to stop what's causing the diatoms, not mask the problem by stirring up the sand.

Can we see some pictures to see how bad it is? I get a little algae on my sand were it doesn't get much flow' date=' but I just stir it up when I do a water change and it go away. A goby will stir up your sand, but you can do the same thing, so if you don't want a goby don't get. A goby is not a necessary part of a reef tank.[/quote']

Here is my original thread about my diatoms (pictures included)....it's 5 times worse since I took these pics.....http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?26884-Algae-identification-problem

Archived