Diatom question

J-Dog

If u look at page 2 of this thread, I said that I have tons of snails....but not sand sifters. My goal is to stop what's causing the diatoms, not mask the problem by stirring up the sand.

Well having a healthy sand bed is not masking the problem IMHO. The reason Im asking about your sand sifters is that you may have a build up of deterius in your sand bed that is feeding the diatoms. Having a lot of hermits and sand sifters helps with getting rid of this deterius.

I have two Koralia 1's w/wavemaker for extra flow......I don't have any sand sifters. I used to have a dragon goby (bought it for the first diatom outbreak) but it died for no apparent reason. I didn't really think sifters were really needed to keep the substrate clean.

I think some of your problem is that you don't have enough flow in your tank as well. Koralia 1's are ment for nano tanks and have a flow rate of 400gph, I would suggest putting some K3's in your tank that have a flow rate of 850gph. For instance I have 7000gph of flow in my 150gal tank and sometimes I don't think that is enough. Please don't be offended by anything I have said I am just trying to help.

I think that you have a combination of things going on in your tank right now that is causing your problems:-)

Archived