A.T.O.

Gill

I made an A.T.O. with a float valve, maxi jet 1200, light timer and a 5 gallon bucket. Woody at Seahorse was nice enough to take the time to walk me through how to set it up :) If you ever have plumbing questions Woody is your man!!!

dc225aee.jpg

e1b85689.jpg

a0a5f1c9.jpg

8458d1e9.jpg

Looks good' date=' I had the same one on my 180 from Woody also.[/quote']

LOL I can't imagine you having one now ;-) Do you remember how much time you had the pump turn on for?

Lets see if i understand this one....

The hose is hooked up to a float valve.

The light timer powers up the maxijet sometime during the day.

The water is topped off and the valve shuts off and pump turns off after the timer shuts off.

That correct? Seems really simple.

Thanks for the DIY post love them!!

If you have the room why not just use gravity with the float valve instead of the pump. What if something goes wrong with the pump?

All you have to do is put the bucket something higher than the water lever in your sump and you're done. Your way might work but it's risky.

LOL I can't imagine you having one now ;-) Do you remember how much time you had the pump turn on for?

I think I just had like one prong on the timer flipped four times a day, I have a gravity feed now. I ran the one with the maxi for years and never had a problem

Thats also when I hooked up the solenoid to keep the bucket full, mine was outside so I wasn't to precise on filling the bucket!

If you have the room why not just use gravity with the float valve instead of the pump. What if something goes wrong with the pump?

All you have to do is put the bucket something higher than the water lever in your sump and you're done. Your way might work but it's risky.

I was originally planning on a gravity fed system, but the only space in the stand for one wouldn't hold much water. My only real worry is that if I have my skimmer running to wet it is going to overflow out of the 2 litter that holds my skimmate. I guess I need a 5 gallon bucket to hold my skimmate now LOL. I was thinking I could even set it up to do auto water changes if I put salt mix in the bucket instead of fresh and then made my skimmer run wet.

Lets see if i understand this one....

The hose is hooked up to a float valve.

The light timer powers up the maxijet sometime during the day.

The water is topped off and the valve shuts off and pump turns off after the timer shuts off.

That correct? Seems really simple.

Thanks for the DIY post love them!!

Yep you got it. Hopefully it's simple enough not to fail. LOL

I think I just had like one prong on the timer flipped four times a day, I have a gravity feed now. I ran the one with the maxi for years and never had a problem

Thats also when I hooked up the solenoid to keep the bucket full, mine was outside so I wasn't to precise on filling the bucket!

I hadn't thought about putting it outside, I do have a windo behind the tank I could run the tube out. (plotting) I wonder if I could keep the bucket filled with rain water?

I hadn't thought about putting it outside' date=' I do have a windo behind the tank I could run the tube out. (plotting) I wonder if I could keep the bucket filled with rain water?[/quote']

Just a note, the solenoid turned on the water that ran thru the RoDi unit then into the bucket!!

I have the same inside now just also have a float valve in the bucket to shut off the RoDi when it full

Gill,

Tap water can be dangerous. You never know what chemical your city adds to the water (bleach being one of them) and you can get algae blooms from using tap water. IMO, tap water should be a very last resort and a RO unit is worth the price.

Gill,

Tap water can be dangerous. You never know what chemical your city adds to the water (bleach being one of them) and you can get algae blooms from using tap water. IMO, tap water should be a very last resort and a RO unit is worth the price.

I know some water can cause problems, but my water (West Linn) is pretty good. I never have had algae bloom problems and I have used tap for four years. I think that if you are trying to keep the more challenging corals like acro then RODI is probably more of a necessity.

I guess I'm confused what the float valve is for... Mine is gravity fed and when the float valve goes down it opens and refills. Unless the float valve actuates the motor, I'm missing the purpose of the float valve. Will it block the pumps power if it closes and the pump is running?

As far as how often to run it, the maxi jet 1200 is rated @300 gph, so if you have it on for even 15 minutes on a timer, it could in theory pump out 75 gallons. I'm curios how this is going to work.

pete, it is simple. the float valve will stop water from coming in once it is at a satisfactory level. then the pump will stay on a little long until it is shut off from a timer.

and how did you install your float valve blake? that is my question...

well just a heads up Gill, I've had my float valve fail before. Not often, maybe once a year or so. Was it the long skinny white one from Woody? Thats the one I have. Works great 99% of the time. Not sure what the pressure difference from the maxi jet1200 to an elevated full 5 gallon bucket is (and thay may just be my issue). But like all devices you rely on in this hobby, I'd stress test it and if possible, I'd make sure your sump can hold another 5 gallons if it drains completely.

I agree, I always work under the presumption that it will fail and then work from there. Gravity feed is very simple making it less likely to fail and mine is set up so that the sump can hold the entire amaount even if it does fail. (My greatest danger is having the power fail and the float valve stick open at the same time which would overflow the sump)

BTW, Tap water is NOT consistent. It changes through the year when water sources change and can also get somewhat contaminated if any construction is occurring in the area which will also change it.

My tank is pretty large (125 gallons) so if it were to take on 5 gallons of fresh I wouldn't be too concerned. Actually I am worried that if the level in the sumP were to rise then I would produce to much skimmate, I thInk I will have to upgrade my skimmate collector now.

Here is a pic of the float valve in the sump

76e0c248.jpg

I guess I'm confused what the float valve is for... Mine is gravity fed and when the float valve goes down it opens and refills. Unless the float valve actuates the motor, I'm missing the purpose of the float valve. Will it block the pumps power if it closes and the pump is running?

As far as how often to run it, the maxi jet 1200 is rated @300 gph, so if you have it on for even 15 minutes on a timer, it could in theory pump out 75 gallons. I'm curios how this is going to work.

Ya, when the valve closes the pump will push against it but the water will stay in the bucket.

I agree, I always work under the presumption that it will fail and then work from there. Gravity feed is very simple making it less likely to fail and mine is set up so that the sump can hold the entire amaount even if it does fail. (My greatest danger is having the power fail and the float valve stick open at the same time which would overflow the sump)

BTW, Tap water is NOT consistent. It changes through the year when water sources change and can also get somewhat contaminated if any construction is occurring in the area which will also change it.

With the pump powering the ATO, the power going out would kill the ATO even if the valve was open. Maybe this is one benefit of a power driven ATO?

well just a heads up Gill' date=' I've had my float valve fail before. Not often, maybe once a year or so. Was it the long skinny white one from Woody? Thats the one I have. Works great 99% of the time. Not sure what the pressure difference from the maxi jet1200 to an elevated full 5 gallon bucket is (and thay may just be my issue). But like all devices you rely on in this hobby, I'd stress test it and if possible, I'd make sure your sump can hold another 5 gallons if it drains completely.[/quote']

I agree that technology can fail in this hobby. I have seen beautiful tanks crash from kalk overdoses ext. My setup is relatively low tech and if this does fail my system will be able to absorb it, one benefit of having a large system ;-)

Archived