Dobler's 13 gallon nano reef

Dobler132

Specs:

Tank: 13 gallon all-in-one rimless glass tank. Its an older Aquamedic Prototype.

Lighting: 2 PAR 38 bulbs. 1 is an Ecoxotic 5 LED light ( 2 Royal blue, 3 Cool white) The other is a RapidLED 7 Led light (4 Royal blue, 2 cool white and 1 warm white)

Filter: Has 5 chambers in the back. First: filter pads, Second: live rock rubble, Third: Protein skimmer, Fourth: Heater, Fifth: Return pump.

Skimmer: Pacific Coast Nano-Skimmer

Heater: Eheim Jager 75 watt

Circulation: Hydor Flo Deflecter on the Return, Tunze Nano-Stream

Fish: Pair of Allard's Clownfish

Corals/Inverts:

Neon green toadstool

GSP

Neon GSP

various Zoos and Palys

Yellow Polyps

Superman Monti

Sunset Monti

Green Hairy Mushroom

Blue clove Polyps

Neon Green Hammer

Duncan

Coco Worm

10 hermit crabs

Various snails

FTS: 9.10.2011

post-8193-141867787667_thumb.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
careful about the rock. if it is too close to the glass' date=' it will be hard to clean the glass[/quote']

thats a good point. I was going for an open area in the middle with stuff going up on either side but I think I may change it now.

What do you need to know about setting up the skimmer?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Well, I've never really used a skimmer. (My last two tanks I just had skilters on them) I'll add some pictures of it to this post, but I assume you probably won't be able to help me too much without being right here. But maybe its way more simple to use than I think.

post-8193-141867759594_thumb.jpg

post-8193-141867759596_thumb.jpg

Well' date=' I've never really used a skimmer. (My last two tanks I just had skilters on them) I'll add some pictures of it to this post, but I assume you probably won't be able to help me too much without being right here. But maybe its way more simple to use than I think.[/quote']

The small tubing next to the skimmer body, is that connected to anything?

Not currently' date=' but I believe that there is a spot on that tiny pump for it to connect to. Is this thing a venturi or something?[/quote']

Yes is is. Connect the bottom of the small tubing to the pump.

Hmm, I may have been wrong about that. I think I might just take it in to the LFS and see if they can walk me through it. Don't take offense to this as I'm sure you're probably more knowledgeable than they are haha. I just learn better that way. Monkey see, monkey do kind of thing :). Thanks for the help, and if I do get it hooked up today I'll post a picture of it in action and maybe you can confirm the set up.

Yes is is. Connect the bottom of the small tubing to the pump.

Yeah, Just looks like you need to connect the small tube to the pump so it can get air to make bubbles. And I'm guessing you adjust the height of the PVC to adjust the skimming level.

Hmm' date=' I may have been wrong about that. I think I might just take it in to the LFS and see if they can walk me through it. Don't take offense to this as I'm sure you're probably more knowledgeable than they are haha. I just learn better that way. Monkey see, monkey do kind of thing :). Thanks for the help, and if I do get it hooked up today I'll post a picture of it in action and maybe you can confirm the set up.[/quote']

Good idea.

BOOYAKASHA! Got the skimmer up and running.. had to move my rubble to another compartment and because I tried to put the pump in the same compartment with the skimmer I cut the tubing to make it shorter DOH! ...seconds later realizing that it would be better to have the pump in the compartment beside the skimmer (which is why the tube was the length it was to begin with haha) So after running to the store to get some new tubing I have it all hooked up. I'll post a picture of it.. its kind of hard to see everything thats going on but if you can see anything that might help it skim better let me know. thanks again for the help.

post-8193-141867759608_thumb.jpg

Nope, seems to be a no-namer. It just came with my tank...which also seems to be a no-namer. The guy at the LFS said its an older biocube protein skimmer...the new biocube skimmers have the wood air block in it. He said this is a better skimmer though. Seems to be working fine... we'll see what skimmate it produces in a few days. I think I need to adjust the water level in it though.

Who thinks I should get rid of my bristle worms? You know the deal... Bought some rock off a guy who swore it didn't have any bad HHs. Pulled a 4 inch one out last night with a pair of chopsticks. I've heard different views but frankly I think they're disgusting.

Some updated Pictures. Got some nice stuff from Kmiller the other day. The yellow polyps are doing great and the hairy mushroom is doing pretty well. A little concerned about the toadstool but today it seemed to look a little less pissed off. I think everything will be much happier and look a lot better under my ecoxotic LED bulb thats coming on friday! woohoo.

post-8193-141867759622_thumb.jpg

post-8193-141867759624_thumb.jpg

post-8193-141867759626_thumb.jpg

post-8193-141867759628_thumb.jpg

Archived