DIY Wavebox

moovinfast

So I decided I wanted to try to add a wave in my 240 cube, but to add a premade one would be like over $500 and I would probably need 2 of them. So I decided to make my own. The pumps are 24v DC and move close to 4000GPH each. The controller is a MK111 timer with modified pots so both on and off times can be adjusted from .5 to 5 seconds. I had it up and running for about 2 hours and dialed in about a half inch wave in my tank. But then my power supply MELTED. It was rated for 4.5 amps and each pump is supposed to draw around 1.5 amps each. So I just ordered a 24v DC 14.6 amp power supply. Hopefully this one will last longer than 2 hours. Will update once new power supply shows up. Next items on the list for this are strong magnets to hold the boxes in place. Right now I just have them zip tied in place for testing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11262&d=1304548412

attachment.php?attachmentid=11261&d=1304548405

attachment.php?attachmentid=11260&d=1304548391

attachment.php?attachmentid=11263&d=1304548419

post-5842-141867786511_thumb.jpg

post-5842-141867786513_thumb.jpg

post-5842-141867786515_thumb.jpg

post-5842-141867786517_thumb.jpg

Very cool, i had been watching a few threads on RC where ppl were trying to do this. I don't think they had DC pumps though. Nicely done. Are you going to make the waveboxes black or leave em clear?

I assume your tank has a top brace? Was just curious if you saw any bowing or something.

In my 60gal acrylic cube i have 2 mp10s and when i put them on short wave mode i can get a good 1" wave going in there. The top brace keeps it from splashing out. But my pendant starts swinging from the motion (laugh)

This was the cheapest DC aquarium pump I could find that I thought would work. The pump is a Resun 1500 from a Resun 1500 "Wave maker" kit. I found someone willing to sell me the pumps only so I went for it. Had to import it from China. It normally comes with the pump, 220v power supply, and a control box that runs the pump alternating between 530 GPH, 2100 GPH, and 4000 GPH for around 10 seconds.

Wow, really cool! I've been meaning to do something like this. All my SPS grows to one side :(

Just so I understand whats going on: the pump is isolated in the box with just the outlet towards the tank. the pump is on a controller that pulses power causing the pump to turn on and off in short periods. The bursts of power drain the reservoir in the box and when the power goes off, the water begins to flow back through the pump to refill the box, this displacement of water causes the wave effect.

Right?

So I assume the important factors to this are:

1) a sealed box that does not overflow from top

2) quality pump that can handle on/off bursts

3) Pump rated high enough GPH to create a wave (can someone reccomend one for a 72 gallon bowfront please?)

4) Rated power outlet so it wont melt as moovingfasts did

am I missing anything?

thanks for any help you can offer, this is really cool!

Just so I understand whats going on: the pump is isolated in the box with just the outlet towards the tank. the pump is on a controller that pulses power causing the pump to turn on and off in short periods. The bursts of power drain the reservoir in the box and when the power goes off, the water begins to flow back through the pump to refill the box, this displacement of water causes the wave effect.

Right?

That exactly how it works. Just need a sealed box with on open top to put the pump in.

If you want to build one with a proven quality pump I would go with the Tunze 6100 series I think. It should come with the power supply/ controller for the pump. Then all you would have to do is build the box and "pulse adapter". There are many DIYs on how to do it with that pump. The only down side to the pumps I'm using that I know of right now, is that they are a little large. But I'm just throwing them in the corners so I didn't care. As long as you dont mind losing a little space on one end of the tank you could try the Resun pump. Ill let you know how it goes once the new power supple gets here. Got an email that it shipped today from New York, so I should have it in a few days.

There was also someone trying to do this with a modded Maxi Jet. But he didn't get the results he wanted because he couldn't get the pump to always start in the right direction. I was going to try it with a Maxi Jet, but didn't want to deal with starting issues so I went with a DC pump.

The Tunze and the Resun are the only decent DC pumps I was able to find to use in a aquarium. But maybe someone knows of another one.

I wonder if i could get a maxijet to work in this same why... might have something to do tonight in the garage lol

If you want to try maxi jets and need a timer I would look into a Chauvet 2/4 channel timer. Its made for DJ lights to make them flash and chase.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Power supply showed up. Seems to be working fine. Dialed in a small wave in the tank. Only about 1/2 inch. But thats with only running one of the pumps. The other pump only starts/spins about 50% of the time. I just emailed the guy I got it from to see if there is a warranty or anything, but Ive already had the pumps for 2.5 months.

When the pump doesn't spin you can hear a humming noise. Any one have suggestions to try? I tried to add a small spacer to see if the propeller bounced too much . Didn't help.

Archived