Flame angels question

J-Dog

+ 1 I had a flame angel because it came with the used tank we bought. I didn't have many sps at the time but it definitely picked at the acans and brain I had in the tank to the point it did not inflate. They are pretty fish and people will chime in that they are fine but why risk hundreds of dollars of corals when there are plenty of nice fish available?

Angels eat SPS, some won't touch corals in our tanks, some will, it's hit and miss. The only angels that are truly reef safe are the angels like the Watanabei and Swallowtail, the others, both full sized and dwarf and pygmy's, will, generally, all nip at corals. It's all about preference really, if you want to take the chance, go for it, if you don't, well, I wouldn't recommend it LOL.

FYI, I'm going to be putting a multicolor angel in our tank here in a month or so, and I love my corals, but I like colorful fish just as much lol.

I have had three flame angels in sps tanks. None of them did any damage to the sps. The last one I had would nip occasionally but not enough to matter.

It can be done. Madmike has a gorgeous sps tank and many beautiful angels. They nip but siince he has a 12 foot long tank they don't just pick on one coral. Again in hit or miss. I have a coral beauty that I am holding for the TFT school and it nips at the zoas right now but doesn't cause them any harm. I would not put it in my main tank but it's a beautiful hardy fish and would be fine for their tank since they have predominately softies. Personally after having problems and then having to stress the fish out to remove it and rehome it, I just don't feel like it is worth the risk when there are so many beautiful fish like the wrasses.

Could you tell what SPS stands for ?

LOL welcome to the hobby. I created a list of abbreviation on this other site because when I first started I felt like people were speaking a foreign language sometimes.

http://reefkeeping-nw.com/showthread.php?201-Saltwater-101-learning-the-lingo

I DO love my angels, lol. But seriously it all depends upon how much nipping you are willing to accept. Most angels just nip, don't really do any damage... Unless there is a problem with the coral and it is not healthy, then there will be some damage. Keep you corals healthy and your angels fat and they can live in harmony ;) (not always an easy task)

It can be done. Madmike has a gorgeous sps tank and many beautiful angels. They nip but siince he has a 12 foot long tank they don't just pick on one coral. Again in hit or miss. I have a coral beauty that I am holding for the TFT school and it nips at the zoas right now but doesn't cause them any harm. I would not put it in my main tank but it's a beautiful hardy fish and would be fine for their tank since they have predominately softies. Personally after having problems and then having to stress the fish out to remove it and rehome it, I just don't feel like it is worth the risk when there are so many beautiful fish like the wrasses.

LOL welcome to the hobby. I created a list of abbreviation on this other site because when I first started I felt like people were speaking a foreign language sometimes.

http://reefkeeping-nw.com/showthread.php?201-Saltwater-101-learning-the-lingo

Bless you..... I thought I was going to have to ask for each and every abbreviation.

Archived