Lights

dippin61

Well.. tax man dropped off a nice chunk of change for the wife and me. So its time to upgrade my lights. Heres my situation. 55g tank with a 250w 14k hammy off a mag ballast. 2x 48" VHO. 1x 50/50 and 1x actinic. Now my tank isnt bright enough, and i figure no matter what bulb i go with, im not going to be happy. So i had some thoughts. Should i just go with a dual HQI 250w ballast and be done with it, or i was thinking of just seeing if i could squeeze 2x 48" T5's to my current setup.

opinions?

Well my 150 that i need to setup will be in addition to my current tank, so the need for upgradability isnt really needed. So no dual 400w lol. Dont really want to have to buy a chiller if i dont have to. Gonna blast the sump with fans to keep heat down.

as far as room goes, theres not much there. everything right now is in a standard hood for a 55g. the mh's and the vhos are mounted inside. Now if i move my vhos just bit more the middle of the hood, i think i might be able to fit 1 T5 on each side with reflectors. Then my vhos would just be straight actinics and probably a 10k T5 and maybe a blue+. or should i not mess with it and just run some helios off a dual HQI ballast?]

im just getting horrible growth with the hammy, and i dont like the color either.

if your going to do actinic do either vho's or t-5's i recently went from vho's to t-5's because they cost alot per bulb and last 6 months or with t-5's you buy the bulb for about the same and it lasts for about 12 to 14. do regret getting my t-5 for actinic because the vho's are much better at color pop but then again im not using reflectors with the t-5's and also its a pci bulb ill get d&d ones shortly to see if that fixes my problem.

For the most part' date=' reflector is a reflector...some slightly better then others, but a 2 x 250w HQI over a 55gal, your be fine with any reflector...[/quote']

I dont agree reflectors are all the same, Ive seen some pretty dramatic differences by changing them out.

That particular pendant is pretty ghetto if its the one Ive seen. Its made by TAAM/Rio/commodity access. I got one for free at a trade show and if I remember right I gave it away to a customer because I didnt feel right about selling it. The glass doesnt fit tight (that was the biggest issue) so its going to leak a ton of UV out the ends.

I could be wrong and its not that pendant, but it sure looks like it.

I dont agree reflectors are all the same, Ive seen some pretty dramatic differences by changing them out.

That particular pendant is pretty ghetto if its the one Ive seen. Its made by TAAM/Rio/commodity access. I got one for free at a trade show and if I remember right I gave it away to a customer because I didnt feel right about selling it. The glass doesnt fit tight (that was the biggest issue) so its going to leak a ton of UV out the ends.

I could be wrong and its not that pendant, but it sure looks like it.

Yeah, I guess I was thinking of SE reflectors...not DE...but over a 55 tank, I think most reflectors would work out for him.