another izzypop build thread 3 foot (little 3)

izzypop

Here is the start of another tank I am designing and seting up for a relative. Some background on the setup. The important things were in the design:

- Very sleek and to stay away from the "normal waterbed looking" stands and canopies.

- LOW power usage.

- Potential Water Leaks minimized

- Simple yet effective

Now for the tank. We went with an Envision 3 foot cube with external overflow. The tank will sit in a corner so two sides black acrylic. Polished and radius corners

The stand is a metal cube frame powdercoated black. It will be wrapped in teak wood skins. a la H20cooled. Something cool is the tank was designed to be vertically flush with the stand. Something that was a little tricky with a metal stand for support. This tank is going to have an open top.

The sump is a custom 4 foot x 2 foot x 18inches acrylic with baffles and filter sock holder

All equipment will be located in the garage (for obvious reasons)

We are going with Tunze Streams for flow

We should be starting the install in the next couple weeks so many pics and posts to follow. In the meantime here are some teasers. I pick up the stand from the powdercoaters today. yippeee.

tankdesignupdatedJan9th.jpg

tankdesign2updatedJan9th.jpg

metalstandtopview.jpg

metalstandunderneath.jpg

IMG_0437Large.jpg

IMG_0436Large.jpg

before_paint3.jpg

before_paint2.jpg

overalllook2.jpg

overalllook.jpg

Very cool. That tank is going to be fantastic

Did you do the metal fab yourself? Are there any rules-of-thumb regarding the cost of professional metal fab and powdercoating? I'm thinking of doing something similar for my inevitable upgrade.

I definately did not do the metal stand. I had a guy that does this for a living do it. He is really good. I wouldn't trust a reef tank weight on my welding guessing skills. Andy when you're ready give me a PM and I'll get you a quote on what ever you want done. Just draw it out and send it to me. The powdercoat is pretty standard across the board. After doing my metal stand I will never work with an all wood stand again. You gain so much more room and strength with a metal frame and the cost is about the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. Dropping off the stand to the wood guy on Monday and picking up the sump tomorrow so shouldn't be to much longer before the fun install pics. Pretty much have everything we need for the 1st stage of setup. This one should be fun to setup. T5's are just temp lights until we decide on an MH fixture.

Yep The tank won't be drilled for Closed Loop so no maintenance there. Going to use Streams or Vortecs. The overflow is going to be external and easily accessed from the right hand side. The return will be on top with a seaswirl not much there. The sump and equipment will be in the garage. The stand in the back will be completely open to have access to the wall, plugs and anything I need to get to. It will have an open top so this thing should be very easy to deal with. The stand should be done this weekend so you can get an idea how we did it. If you mean inside the tank I don't see why you need to get to the back corner since it is black you don't need to clean it regularly. This tank will be tall so a step ladder and thats it. When you see the tank in person it's not that big.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks. It is 157gals with an 80 gal sump in the garage. It looks bigger in person than the pics show since it is deep. One thing that ended up really cool is the position of the cube at an agle you get a front to back way deeper than 3 feet. It's like 40 something inches front to back.

It is a 3ft. 8 bulb tek light. I got it from R3 as a used but brand new looking unit. I was going to hold onto it for a frag tank so it will work for this tank until we get a nice MH combo fixture. I am not sure but R3 said the 8 bulb 3' is not made anymore.

you got pm on the stand.