Majano/Aiptasia control

oldbrownies

Are those saddle butterflies supposed to eat majano's? i didnt know there was a natural predetor of those ones. On the aipastia, i say some of us get together in the club and order some berghii nudibranch's and just pass them around after they finish the job on the aipastia. They arent too bad pricing wise and no lfs in town seems to be able to get them....

afaik and imo copperbands do not it majano, aiptasia yea, majano no.

Im a fan of the kalkwasser paste smother method. Make a thick paste of kalkwasser and a little water and smear a chunk on all the unwanteds and their hidey holes with your finger. kills them good.

I've been doing that to the 3 in my tank once a week for 3 months now and it hasn't killed one of them, i must have a super strain or something!

I have good luck with Joes juice.

However, if i am careless or in a hurry, they simply come back as has been described. It didnt work for me long term either until I figured out how it needs to be used.

I shut off all flow to the tank and slowly approach them not making them flinch........i never actually touch them, i drop the food(joes juice) from slightly above them and allow them to eat absolutely as much as they can hold which is quite a bit of the stuff. I have quite a bit of flow in my tanks so after treating i will leave the flow off for another 5 minutes. It works, they do not come back.

I would like to know what exactly Joes Juice is made from. I would bet money it IS kalk or similar, but with something else added to it that makes them want to eat it.

Kalk paste and peppermint shrimp combo worked great for me. I used peppermint shrimp for the refugium only. They cleared out all the little and medium buggers in two days. The kalk was deadly for my hard to get ones in the fuge and display. Just keep at it. It took me four months to get it under control. Kalk is cheaper than joes juice too. Don't forget to check your overflow too.

I've been doing that to the 3 in my tank once a week for 3 months now and it hasn't killed one of them' date=' i must have a super strain or something![/quote']

yeah, must be some extra toughies. sounds like they're big. mine were pretty small. I covered the whole dude with paste, a little over the size of a dime around and maybe 3 dimes thick. the chunk of paste probably didn't dissolve for almost a week (maybe only three days, its been awhile) but it was there for awhile. i never saw them again. Good luck!!

I use a 10 ml syringe with a narrow tip (from the dentist- used for irrigating after getting wisdom teeth out). I hit them with about .25 ml of 1 N sodium hydroxide, then use the syringe to suck out the body parts. It works well, its several months before I see any recurrence but with aiptasia I don't think anything is permanent.

Kalk paste and peppermint shrimp combo worked great for me. I used peppermint shrimp for the refugium only. They cleared out all the little and medium buggers in two days. The kalk was deadly for my hard to get ones in the fuge and display. Just keep at it. It took me four months to get it under control. Kalk is cheaper than joes juice too. Don't forget to check your overflow too.

pepermint shrimp are too risky. I've used them before for aitpasia control and instead of aiptasia they always ate the corals. I'm much more concerned about the majano anemones reproducing like crazy and walking around the tank, not the 4 aiptasia I've got sitting in there

maybe I'll take a few pieces out at a time and put em in a tank with a few pepermint's' date=' just let em pick the rock clean in a seperate tank[/quote']

That is exactly what I did. I cleaned the refugium first. Then, I patiently started to add rocks from the display. The rocks that were too big for the fuge were pummeled with kalk. The big pieces took a while to clean.

Its RO water' date=' salt, and kalk. Thats it. Mine just eat the joes juice and open back up for more in a few hours.[/quote']

that cant be true, it doesnt hurt anything else but anemones. If it was kalk it would nuke the crap out of SPS but it doesnt. I dont think its kalk at all.

I have a physician customer, he tasted the stuff and is 99% sure its milk of magnesia. he actually called poison control and said "my son drank the whole bottle". He said he was a physician and wanted to know what it was. They wouldnt tell him but said it wouldnt hurt the child.

I dont think kalk, hot water, hot kalk, joes juice, or anything else like that works. It never distroys everything to the point of it not coming back. I think they can be used to control aips but it wont remove them. Pepps, blow torch (drain tank and COOK), CBB etc are the only answers that I know.

• 1 year later...

You guys are sick.

You guys are crazy. Just take the time and to kill them one at a time. I take my rocks out of the tank and tweezer and wait for them to get all the water out of their bodys. The foot comes right of the rock.

Just remember that if you are over 21 you might want to get a 6 pack of your favorite drink.

About Joel torching them... well that is in my blood line.

Frank