BREEDING FISH?

h2odvl

So how many people are going to start "trying" to breed some fish after the meeting with Matt?

I know I'm going to give it a shot! :)

Group buy?

Seem like getting a handful of fish and letting them pair on their own is the best way that I've found (after some reading). So I was thinking if we (as a group large or small) pick a fish we all like or would like to try we could do a group buy and let them pair.

We could even do a grow out :0

Only concern is that the market couldn't keep up with the amount of new babies (when and if we are successful).

Let me know what you think.(scary)

I would go with bangaii cardinals as well . From the presentation they don't have as many babies as the clowns and they are a relatively "easy" fish to try and they are becoming increasingly endangered due to collection for the aquarium trade.

Not that I'm planning on breeding but would be willing to work with someone here on the forum in trying to get it going. Anything where less is being taken out of the ocean is a good thing.

I would go with bangaii cardinals as well . From the presentation they don't have as many babies as the clowns and they are a relatively "easy" fish to try and they are becoming increasingly endangered due to collection for the aquarium trade.

Not that I'm planning on breeding but would be willing to work with someone here on the forum in trying to get it going. Anything where less is being taken out of the ocean is a good thing.

Lol, I am up for breeding! Seems they would do great in the frag tank, and all we need is a black tub! Lol

He, made it sound soooooooo easy!

But hey, after school is done in may I will have more free time!

+1 on this!

Do not think I will try at this time, but if you guys are REALLY successful I'm sure that maybe one or more LFS might purchase some of them.

Good Luck to all that try! I really hope you succeed!!

Lol, I am up for breeding! Seems they would do great in the frag tank, and all we need is a black tub! Lol

He, made it sound soooooooo easy!

But hey, after school is done in may I will have more free time!

You need a place to put the tub and you need to be able to feed multiple times a day and have rotifers, and brine available to feed. It would be fun though.

You need a place to put the tub and you need to be able to feed multiple times a day and have rotifers' date=' and brine available to feed. It would be fun though.[/quote']

Elecrokate said she would supply us with it if we wanted to give it a try in another thread she had enough for a year or more that if we needed any just let her know... at ya know rotifers do come in that wonderful bottle made by randy reed!! And isn't that was an auto feeder is for? Or we could just train Holly to bump it once while we gone and she could feed them in the middle of the day!!=) LOL

Elecrokate said she would supply us with it if we wanted to give it a try in another thread she had enough for a year or more that if we needed any just let her know... at ya know rotifers do come in that wonderful bottle made by randy reed!! And isn't that was an auto feeder is for? Or we could just train Holly to bump it once while we gone and she could feed them in the middle of the day!!=) LOL

Well dear if you want to give it a try. Kate doesn't live far from us. I would support you but you have to promise to read and do the research before you jump right into it. Fortunately you have a fellow board member who may know just a little about breeding fish :).

Well dear if you want to give it a try. Kate doesn't live far from us. I would support you but you have to promise to read and do the research before you jump right into it. Fortunately you have a fellow board member who may know just a little about breeding fish :).

YAY!!!!! Ok I am in!!! Who's buying when????

One has to start somewhere, but...

It's not the breeding part that's the real challenge here, it's the rearing (raising) part that is the real challenge. It takes some around the clock dedication, patience and work to get these tiny fry to settle into reef fish.

I am all for it, but just know it takes some work. I think Dave and Kate can testify to this. I am not trying to rain on this thread's parade but just want to let you know that if this were easy - everyone would already be doing it.

I would suggest to start with what you already have in your tank and work from there. I have experience with Bangai's and they are fairly easy as the juv's are large enough to eat newly hatched artemia (brine shrimp), and are quite capable little fish when provided for.

Having someone to provide live cultured food is a giant help (Kate)! This has always been my hurdle/discouragement as cultures can crash very easily - especially the rotifers, and always when you need them most.

I support anyone's decision to breed fish/corals/inverts just please do your homework before taking the plunge.

I am glad to see some enthusiasm in trying to breed fish. If you take a few things away from it is that unless you are going to try bangaii cardinals it is a lot of work...... You will need rotifer cultures and phytoplankton. A brine shrimp hatcher or 2. At least one dedicated tank for rearing the larva and depending on the species you may also need copepods. Also IMO a group buy is not a good idea. You will have a group of people with the same fish and nowhere to get rid of them. Keep in mind that a clownfish can lay anywhere from 200 to over 1000 eggs at a time. Give it a shot and see what happens. Do some research and see what's a good fit for you. For anyone serious about trying breeding check out this site. www.mbisite.org it is the marine breeders initiative and has a database of people that have bred fish. It will give you some information to work with. There is www.marinebreeder.org also. Also you should buy Matt Wittenrich's book on breeding, it is a must if you are serious about this.