Looking for help

k9flash

Hey all. I am new to this forum but not totally new to saltwater tanks. I have had tanks in the past that unfortunately due to life changes I have had to give away. I am now in a more permanent arrangement and am looking to restart my hobby.

I am trying to find a good place to get a saltwater setup ie. tank, lights, filters, etc. Never been confident enough to do frags and such, but love softies and fish tanks. If you guys could point me in the right direction to get a good 40-50 gallon setup to reignite my passion, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help. Also I am in the Tigard/Tualatin area.

Beauty. I think I am good on the stand, just need the rest of the stuff. I'd like to get a good tank with overflow and stuff. I have been in Upscales to check prices, not to sound cranky, they are a bit expensive. I have been out of the market for awhile so am not quite sure what stores are around. I want to do it right this time and get a nice tank with good lights for whatever I decide to do. Thanks for the info.

Watch the forum and craigslist. You can get full setups for a 5th of the price buying new at a shop. Something always pops up. If you have a droid phone, get the craigslist app. And use keyword saltwater so it alerts you right when stuff is posted. Get a lot of good deals that way. And welcome!

Also if you are patient , I have seen so many setups on here that were so cheap. I got a 40b setup with tank, stand, canopy, and pump for 125 dollars. I know there was another member selling them on here cheaply too. Then you can start looking into upgrading and getting the equipment, lights, sump , etc that you really want and working with the fishstores to get a decent price on skimmers , lights, pumps, etc. We also have several people who do great acrylic work. Many people who build stands and it is fun getting people's opinions and really making the tank you truly want.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the great ideas guys. I have been nervous to buy used only because I wasnt sure what kind of shape the gear would be in or what parasites would come with them. But I will check those sources and see what I can find. I shot Garrett an email to see what he has, hopefully he can help me out. Thanks again guys.

Thanks for the great ideas guys. I have been nervous to buy used only because I wasnt sure what kind of shape the gear would be in or what parasites would come with them. But I will check those sources and see what I can find. I shot Garrett an email to see what he has' date=' hopefully he can help me out. Thanks again guys.[/quote']

Well that's the advantage of buying here and not from craig's list. You get to know the people and who you can trust and you can still contact them later on if you need to. Garrett is a great guy to deal with.

Unfortunately, the problem with getting great help is that you often find you want more. LOL. Wife decided that 40-50 would be too cramped and wants to go 55-75 now. And thanks for hooking me up with Garrett. He sounds very knowledgeable and I'm sure he is going to be a great help.

Watch the forum and craigslist. You can get full setups for a 5th of the price buying new at a shop. Something always pops up. If you have a droid phone' date=' get the craigslist app. And use keyword saltwater so it alerts you right when stuff is posted. Get a lot of good deals that way. And welcome![/quote']

+1 for CRAIGSLIST, ton of tanks on there.

Welcome to the forums. Garrett is a great guy and is very knowledgeable so you'll be getting correct information.

Used is a good way to get started, but for me I'd rather get new pumps, just hate for them to leak all over. Tanks you can fix/repair and keep on going. As mentioned, keep an eye in the classifieds for lights and ballast and other needed items and if you travel for a good deal, there's several clubs near Puget Sound area and Seattle. I got 2 brand new dual PFO's HQI ballast for $50 each and still use them.

Your wife is smart - bigger is better (laugh)

good luck

Unfortunately' date=' the problem with getting great help is that you often find you want more. LOL. Wife decided that 40-50 would be too cramped and wants to go 55-75 now. And thanks for hooking me up with Garrett. He sounds very knowledgeable and I'm sure he is going to be a great help.[/quote']

WELCOME!!!!

Just had to say how lucky you are.... you have upgraded without having to even set up the smaller tank!!! :) LOL