DIY filter socks and my DIY sock holder

impur

There was another thread about filter socks and I had a request for pics of my holder and homemade socks :D

The holder is just a piece of 1/4" acrylic that fits on the inside lip of a 20L tank i use for my sump. I cut a 4" hole in the middle, then I cut 2" off the end of a 4" PVC fitting and glued that to the acrylic plate.

Today is filter sock change day, you can see its pretty brown and water is bubbling out the top. The great thing about my holder is any water that bubbles out just drips into the sump, it can't get out to leak at all

DSCN3748.jpg

I used a hacksaw to cut the PVC fitting, and I left it kind of jagged with a couple raised spots. This helps snag on the filter sock material and holds it so it won't slip down into the sump.

So to replace the sock, i just slide it down under the drain pipe and out.

DSCN3750.jpg

DSCN3751.jpg

DSCN3752.jpg

DSCN3753.jpg

So here is the material i got from walmart. It was $6 for 2 yards, but it was folded in half so its like 4 yards! I've already made 8-10 socks so this is left over till i get time to make more.

DSCN3758.jpg

I made a pattern out of cardboard

DSCN3759.jpg

And i just follow it, then flip it over to cut the other side

DSCN3760.jpg

DSCN3761.jpg

DSCN3762.jpg

DSCN3763.jpg

DSCN3749.jpg

I make mine out of nylon chiffon. It's amazing how much it traps... pods, coral slime, rotifers, uneaten food etc. I like the nylon because it catches so much and is so easy to clean. I just turn it inside out and swish in a glass of aquarium water.

So much easier to clean a sock that does not have a narrow mouthed plastic ring with sharp edges stitched to it.

Great thread!

Kate

Yah it was 100% polyester felt i believe. They had another that was a little thinner, but this one was pretty close to what the normal socks are made out of.

I've just been tossing them in the washing machine with my fish towels. Cleans em right up.

Homemade awesome! But $15 for a filter sock NOOO Way! BRS $5

Someone else said they paid $15.00 for a sock.

Miles sais he bought all that fabric for $6.00, made 8-10 of them and that was what was left.

So he should be under a dollar per sock by my math when done.