Anyone know who supplied waves with their custom glass tanks?

city hunter

I'm talking way back in the day when waves was still on lower boonsferry/ He use to offer custom glass tanks, and had a really nice quare tank or close to as a display with no bracing. I'm pretty sure they were that euroclear style glass. I've been tossing around the idea of getting something along the lines of that and was curious if that glass tank maker was still around.

Hopefully Shaun Monaghan will find this thread. He was the owner when Waves was on L. Boonesferry.

He is a member here.

+1. Shoot him a PM. He is very knowledgeable, and likes to help out. He also seems to have some nice connections.

It is very hard to get reasonable custom glass tanks now-a-days

I believe those tanks were coming from SeaStar...

Hey all-

Yes, those custom glass euro braced tanks were form SeaStar in Canada. I was not aware they went under- no surprise with the economy they way it is, and sorry to hear as he made killer tanks :(

I stumbled across this guy's page (from California), he looks like he knows what he's doing: http://www.fishtankfactory.com/page04.html

I followed a few threads on his costs, delivery and quality and all sounded very good.

Hope this helps-

When Joel had Waves opened he has 3 different places he got custom glass tanks from. First it was Seastar then Aquarium Obsessed and the he started making them himself.

The Seastar tanks were sweet!!! Always a big fan of them.

Hey all-

Yes, those custom glass euro braced tanks were form SeaStar in Canada. I was not aware they went under- no surprise with the economy they way it is, and sorry to hear as he made killer tanks :(

I stumbled across this guy's page (from California), he looks like he knows what he's doing: http://www.fishtankfactory.com/page04.html

I followed a few threads on his costs, delivery and quality and all sounded very good.

Hope this helps-

I have heard a lot of good things about this guy (Charlie) as well from a different Forum.

The Sea Star tanks were really nice, I think they met their demise when the shipping prices from Canada to the US became more than the costs of the tanks themselves and there became more high end tank builders in the US competing for their business. I know there were a lot of people that got screwed by AO, they paid for tanks and they waited and were strung along then all of a sudden the phones were disconnected and the only thing left of the company was the sign on the building they used to be in.

I've talked with Charlie from the Fish Tank Factory a while back, he primarily uses Lee Mar from CA as I mentioned earlier for Glass tanks. Lee Mar makes nice tanks from what I've seen and their prices are pretty fair.

Glass has it's advantages but with having Envision based locally you don't have to deal with shipping and you can get bullet proof tank (literally) with all the bells and whistles fabricated into your tank (dry boxes for Vortechs etc.) for the same price or less. People complain so much about acrylic and how it scratches but as long as your remotely careful I've never had an issue with any of my Envision tanks. Plus with acrylic if there is an accident it can be fixed, once you screw up glass it's done unless you want to tear the tank apart and add a new panel, which is far from cost effective!

The Sea Star tanks were really nice, I think they met their demise when the shipping prices from Canada to the US became more than the costs of the tanks themselves and there became more high end tank builders in the US competing for their business. I know there were a lot of people that got screwed by AO, they paid for tanks and they waited and were strung along then all of a sudden the phones were disconnected and the only thing left of the company was the sign on the building they used to be in.

I've talked with Charlie from the Fish Tank Factory a while back, he primarily uses Lee Mar from CA as I mentioned earlier for Glass tanks. Lee Mar makes nice tanks from what I've seen and their prices are pretty fair.

Glass has it's advantages but with having Envision based locally you don't have to deal with shipping and you can get bullet proof tank (literally) with all the bells and whistles fabricated into your tank (dry boxes for Vortechs etc.) for the same price or less. People complain so much about acrylic and how it scratches but as long as your remotely careful I've never had an issue with any of my Envision tanks. Plus with acrylic if there is an accident it can be fixed, once you screw up glass it's done unless you want to tear the tank apart and add a new panel, which is far from cost effective!

I do not believe anyone questions the insanely awesome fabrication James at Envision Acrylics does here - the question posed has been answered by myself and a few others here. It's not a question of acrylic - it's a question of custom glass. Cost effectiveness was not in question, and opinions were not asked... perhaps a different thread or poll should be started to talk about opinions on glass vs. acrylic tanks.

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh) If memory serves I actually answered the OP's question.

I was stating my personal experience and my opinion because I felt like it... Which last time I checked I was entitled to!

To the OP, if you want a top of the line custom glass tank I recommend talking to one of these companies.

http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com/

I've owned one of their custom tanks and the build quality was excellent!

OR

http://www.miraclesaquariums.com/ <~~~~ Canadian company so shipping will be kinda spendy.

You can always go to the extreme and look into Elos tanks. If money isn't an issue these guys will build you a custom tank as well. Their standard tanks are nothing short of amazing as well.

http://www.eloseurope.com/en/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=71

Charlie is an extremely nice guy and will help you get ahold of a Lee Mar tank. A friend of mine in CA. has one and is very happy with it. I thought the build quality was quite nice.