Ball Valves with External Pump Question

Val

I have read that I should put a ball valve before and after the external pump and I am wondering if it is really necessary to put a valve before the pump. I don't really have the room to put one before, so I would rather not if I don't have to. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

Val,

Putting a valve before the pump seem to be asking for extra noise and overly redundant.

(whistle)

Second thought, Having one on either side would allow you to cut off the flow and replace the pump with little disruption to the tank.

Putting the ball valve in front and after is strictly for safety I believe, if the pump should go out, you don't have to drain the sump to disconnect the pump...It just makes things easier...Talk to Alex(grassi) he knows plumbing for tanks like no other, and should be able to help you out, but, if you don't have room, you might need to rethink your set-up, so that you'll have the room.

It's really up to you but the reason you put one in is for the ability to clean and maintain the pump or to replace it. Most external pumps need some sort of periodic maintenance to keep them running optimally. You don't have to use one but it is really a good idea to do so. It won't restrict any flow an less you are reducing the pipe size for some reason. You shouldn't be doing this anyway. The only other option I see(and not a great one) is to put in a threaded bulkhead and whenever you need to remove the pump you would need to put a threaded plug in the bulkhead. This is still going to leave a fair amount of water in there for when the pump is removed. You try to put the ball valves as close to the pump ends as possible with unions so you can have very little water spillage. True union ball valves work the best for this and can be picked up for pretty cheap at Lowes now a days. Either way you have to at least put in a union so the pump can eventually be pulled off somehow...

Just a thought....If you don't have room outside the sump for the valve, could you put it on the inside of the bulkhead? You would have to stick your hand inside the sump to shut the valve, but your probably gonna get wet anyways.

+1 on always having valves both sides of your pump also.

Gabe

I was able to avoid having to use a ball valve before my pump by using a pvc plug that screws into my bulkhead. So whenever I need to change out/clean my pump I just screw it into my bulkhead in my sump and close the ballvalve on the output side. Just an idea. Thanks Harold

To everyone who replied, thanks for all of the great information! I now have several options that will work for me. I was trying to fit a union and a ball valve in my plumbing before the pump, I didn't know about the True Union Ball Valve. I also already have a threaded bulkhead, so I think I'm good to go! Thanks again!