WTB return pump for a 120 gallon

jennmac415

I don't even know how many gph a return pump should be for a 120 gallon... 1200 gph?? more? less? anyway, if some of you know and have something for sale that would be appropriate for this size tank please let me know... oh, and I would like it to be submersible... have never used an inline pump and don't really now how that works.

Thank you!

I would get a bigger pump and put a valve on it to reduce the flow. This way if your overflow can handle more current then you increase your flow. But if it can't, then you can reduce it. This way you won't find yourself needing more flow and have to buy another pump.

Be careful when you are thinking about a 1200 gph return pump. First make sure your overflow will handle it. IMO your return pump may not need to be even that large unless you are trying to use it a main source of circulation in the tank which usually is not the most efficient way to go. A gen-x 6000 with a 3-4' head and not many elbows I am guessing will flow around 800gph. That is still quite a bit through a sump. Of course the pipe size, number of elbows, number of entrances, ect. will help determine better. Are you going to have any other powerheads in the tank for water movement?

What type of overflows does your 120 have Jen? My oceanic 120 has the large center overflow and I can easily run my mag 18; however I used to have a 120 with corner overflows and I had to dial back the mag 18, with a ball valve, quite a bit.

Doug

If your overflows will handle it I would probobly go for double that. Around 2400 would be great! I had close to 1200 on my 55 gal and have close 2 4000 on my 180. Im probobly getting closer to 3500 or so cause im running my return through my chiller. I also just have a 2" pvc 90 as my overflow so its can keep up.

i have a 180 with a mag 12 hooked up to a seaswirl. i am running 175 gallons an hour thru my sump , so i had to put a relief valve on it to send the excess water back to the sump, since the mag is not pressure rated. i have a k4 for circulation. sounds like my water volume is a lot lower than most, but have mostly softies.