Need some advice on a MP40W ES

NoobtoSalt

I'm considering buying a MP40W ES and wanted to get some feedback about it. I currently run two Koralia powerheads in my 75 gallon but now that I've upgraded to a 120 gallon 6ft tank I'm seriously considering a Vortech. Anyone help me or make some suggestions on this. If you checkout my signature it will show you a thread of my new 120 gallon tank so you can see the return pump etc. Is one MP40 going to be enough? Is it worth getting the ES model? I really like the idea of only having 1 powerhead in the tank so I want to make this the right purchase. Should I go up to the MP60 or is that overkill?

Anyways, thanks in advance for the suggestions!

I vote two MP40W ES. You will not regret it. I have two on a standard 120 (4x2x2). This is my favorite piece of equipment. I run mine on Crest mode. And the feed mode rocks. Look for a used pair on RC. Seems like their are a ton right now for sale.

I vote two MP40W ES. You will not regret it. I have two on a standard 120 (4x2x2). This is my favorite piece of equipment. I run mine on Crest mode. And the feed mode rocks. Look for a used pair on RC. Seems like their are a ton right now for sale.

That's kind of why I am starting to inquire about them. I will be selling off my 75 as well as my new frag tank and figured I would use the cash from those to pay for at least 1 Vortech. I was going to do a controller but I think this would be the better purchase for now. My current return pump is about 2400 gph. Would I really need two MP40's? I don't plan on doing much SPS, maybe some milli's and monti's but that's it.

My return is a mag 18 with two MP40's and 2 feet less of tank space. I think it's perfect. I'm sure you can get away with one but two would be much better.(naughty) i'm sure others will chime in.

"I don't plan on doing much SPS, maybe some milli's and monti's but that's it."

You do have a history of changing your mind. Just sayin. (whistle)

My return is a mag 18 with two MP40's and 2 feet less of tank space. I think it's perfect. I'm sure you can get away with one but two would be much better.(naughty) i'm sure others will chime in.

Yeah I know the saying "two is always better than one" just trying to decide on cost as well. Would it be worth going to the MP60 for this type of a tank or would that be way too much? I know that mytshall has two MP40's as well on his tank but it just seems like overkill. I guess what I really need to do is go to someone's place that has an MP40 on their tank so I can see what they do.

get the new controlable hydors and a controller' date=' cheaper than a vortech and you still get your controller[/quote']

I have the 1050 and a 1400 currently in my 75 gallon. I have thought about getting a Reef Keeper as well so I could have the different flow as well as the control of the rest of the system. Too many decisions.

Agreed ^^^^ ' date=' I have that 150 set up (and its 6 foot ) with 1 MP40 now and its ok but not enough(IMO), the 2nd one should get delivered tomorrow so I'll have 2-LOL[/quote']

But your a colored stick guy too. If I'm doing mainly zoas, acans, and chalices shouldn't 1 be sufficient?

you can always use one mp40 and a standard powerhead on the otherside until you can upgrade later.

Yeah maybe I will keep the 1400 Koralia and just get the MP40 for the one side and add another one later on down the road. Now your thinking buddy. Thanks for the ideas.

I have two mp40 es' on my 120 4x2 and they are amazing. Customer service can't be beat and I don't have one dead spot in my entire tank. I agree that it is the best piece of equipment I have. Although my bubbleking 180 is a close rival. My vote is to buy 2 especially with a six foot tank. Should be able to get 2 used for a good price.

I have two mp40 es' on my 120 4x2 and they are amazing. Customer service can't be beat and I don't have one dead spot in my entire tank. I agree that it is the best piece of equipment I have. Although my bubbleking 180 is a close rival. My vote is to buy 2 especially with a six foot tank. Should be able to get 2 used for a good price.

That brings me to the next question. What's a good price for used ones? On Reefcentral most of them are going for close to new prices. Just seems crazy for me to grab a used one and not spend the extra 30-40 for a new one locally.

For not having algae issues you should have about 20-40 times turnover (more if you want to keep a lot of sps).

You need some 2400-4800 ghp then. The MP40 is rated for 3000gph when at full throttle.

So with one + your return you should be fine for lps and zoas.

For sps I would go for 2.

For an high populated sps tank I would suggest 2 if you use them at full throttle or 3 if you use reef crest.

Get one and use in reef crest to get the random flow. The use a cheap pump for just flow, like koralia or coralvue. I really suggest you the coralvue, especially in the "double" configuration.

Unless you have extra cash or you have a warm tank/room in the summer time.

I bought both of mine used and you can do better than $30 or $40 under BN cost. IMO somewhere around $250-$275 no more than $300 IMO for a Gen 2 MP-40, less for a Gen 1 and for an ES your probably better off getting new unless you run across a DEAL.

That brings me to the next question. What's a good price for used ones? On Reefcentral most of them are going for close to new prices. Just seems crazy for me to grab a used one and not spend the extra 30-40 for a new one locally.

I debated like you and went for the new one! $ 30 to 40 is not the worth the risk (of running into problems at RC) not to mention the direct contact with supplier/manufacturer in this case. It is an expensive piece of equipment in the tank but I really like it. It is a big and heavy motor and gets slightly hot, something I would not want in my tank!