Boning up on Borneman

R2R2

I've been reading some of Eric Borneman's works in prep for his talk to us. If you do a search on the net, there is a thread with his CV, a list of many of his published writings. In a 2000 report to the US Coral Reef Taskforce, he offers a listing of species in the marine aquarium trade with very low survivability. I will attempt to include a link to this report below for you to review and comment on. Many I agree with, a few, well,... you decide. Ryan@advancedreef.com

I think this applies to the masses. IF you do your research and know what your up against, survivability is possible. I see a list of quite a few things I have there, and all have done well, but most individuals go to a pet store and buy these things without knowing feeding, lighting, and tank size preferences and requirements for species. Therefore easily adding them to a "not recommended for distribution" list.

I think that whole list should be thrown in the trash and started over. about 1/3 is wrong IMO.

long spine urchins

linkia

regal angel

well,,, lots of the angels

Majestic? are you kidding its like the hardist angel!

sponges?

anyway,,, i wont go on, thats a pretty bad list

You are right Mike, we have made some great strides in the care and keeping of the coral species in particular. Although I don't usually carry this critter, I have had a feather star in the show tank for at least 5 years. I'm sure his point is regarding " long term survivability", which is not very long for many animals that go through pet stores. The butterflies, sharks, rays, and yes, even most large Angelfish species, are often short lived in captivity. Hmmm,... maybe all that crap Piero has been spoutin' is less crazy than he makes it sound!!!

Borneman wrote an interesting series of articles about widely held aquarium myths. They are at:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/eb/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/eb/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php

Some of the ones I found most interesting are:

Myth 9: Lugol's dips or other commercial dips are useful or prophylactic for treating coral ailments.

Myth 10: Bacterial infections are common in aquarium corals.

Myth 12: Aquariums need supplements from the fish store.

Myth 13: The refugium concept. (Caulerpa is toxic!)

Myth 19: To propagate corals, one should break or cut off a branch or section, and then apply glue or affix the broken fragment to new substrate.