Bug Bomb?

cschwarz

what should i do? we just moved into a new apartment and it is infested with fleas :( so are land lord will becoming over to bug bomb are home. what should i do to protect my aquariums from the poison from the bug bombs?

Don't let them use a bug bomb. You can get other products that are more aquarium friendly.

talk to hollywood aquarium: they do aquarium maintenance on tanks and they have had to deal with this. as i understand: use lot s of carbon' date=' and skim. and also do your best to cover the aquarium[/quote']

Actually don't use your skimmer. It pulls in air which will just pull everything into your tank.

ok i will talk around. but there is not way we can get around having to bomb the house my poor fiance is getting eaten alive!

There are other products that are not airborne that work good as well. There are powders that you can put on your furniture and carpets as well as sprays you can use around the baseboards to get them from coming back in. I was going to do the same thing but found these options to work just as good as the old bug bombs and without having to worry about loosing my tank.

Actually don't use your skimmer. It pulls in air which will just pull everything into your tank.

I would not recommend using your skimmer while the bomb is going off. There is other ways to get rid of fleas besides using the bombs.

ok i will talk around. but there is not way we can get around having to bomb the house my poor fiance is getting eaten alive!

Make sure that you vacuum all the time this will help get rid of flea's/eggs, but make sure you empty the bag or canister as well.

There are other products that are not airborne that work good as well. There are powders that you can put on your furniture and carpets as well as sprays you can use around the baseboards to get them from coming back in. I was going to do the same thing but found these options to work just as good as the old bug bombs and without having to worry about loosing my tank.

I would look into this method/options before i would use a bug bomb.

we had the same problem with fleas last year. with 17 tanks and 2 macaws, there was no way in H*** we were going to bomb the house. we went to the local feed store and found a product for chicken coops (the macaws you know) that we shook out on the floor and vacuumed up the next day. that night there wasnt a flea to be seen anywhere. if i can find the can, i will let you know what it is.

if you get the flea sprays and just shoot them at the ground about 12" away from the floor it doesn't really get airborne and its very effective at killing the fleas. I treated every room with the spray cans but the room with the aquarium and then just did the powder and vaccum like crazy. didn't have any problems. also crack open a window or two and get some ventilation and you should be fine. in my experience though the powders don't work as well as the sprays. never do a bomb with aquariums they are a sure fire mistake.

so would a combo of fleas spray and powder? no bomb? ok i will go to the store tomorrow and look around a see what i can dig up? dose anyone know of any home remedies for flea bits for my fiancée? she is covered with bits and the store bought stuff we have been using is not working at all for her :( man this new place is bigger but idk if this is worth it lol.

Eucalyptus oil (sp?) We had an infestation about a year ago after a fishing trip. We dont even have any pets other than the fish. My wife did'nt want to use the chemical crap since she was pregnant so she searched online and found that they hate the eucalyptus oil. She dilluted some in water and put it in a spray bottle then sprayed everything. Put some one cotton balls and place then under any piece of furniture you can. It took like 2-3 times over a few weeks but they are gone.

Sprinkle salt on the carpet and vacuum like crazy every 3 days for 9 days - the egg cycle is 3 days so this ensures you get them on both sides of a cycle not matter what stage they are in now. The salt attaches to the waxy coat of the fleas and dries them out. The smaller the salt grains the better. Regular vacuuming with the salt and emptying the bags helps in the long term.

A bowl of water with a few drops of dish soap to lower the surface tension and place it near a light to attract them at night and then flush it in the morning. I'd place a bowl in every room and two in bigger rooms - cheap and easy plus you get satisfaction out of seeing you victims.

Have your wife eat lots of garlic -she may smell a little but the fleas hate garlic. Also have her drink water with a bit of vinegar in it - 1 tablespoon to 3 cups or whatever she can stomatch - same effect as garlic. Hummus and crackers or spaghetti with a heavy dose of fresh garlic or roasted garlic with Brie if you need some recipe ideas.

Strong odors like those from essential oils (peppermint, Rosemary, eucalyptus, etc) sprinkled on a bandana and worn on a belt loop or around a pets neck drive the fleas away.

Also cedar chips don't kill fleas but they don't like the smell at all - maybe a big bag under the bed on under covers at the foot of the bed would help.

Sprinkle salt on the carpet and vacuum like crazy every 3 days for 9 days - the egg cycle is 3 days so this ensures you get them on both sides of a cycle not matter what stage they are in now. The salt attaches to the waxy coat of the fleas and dries them out. The smaller the salt grains the better. Regular vacuuming with the salt and emptying the bags helps in the long term.

A bowl of water with a few drops of dish soap to lower the surface tension and place it near a light to attract them at night and then flush it in the morning. I'd place a bowl in every room and two in bigger rooms - cheap and easy plus you get satisfaction out of seeing you victims.

Have your wife eat lots of garlic -she may smell a little but the fleas hate garlic. Also have her drink water with a bit of vinegar in it - 1 tablespoon to 3 cups or whatever she can stomatch - same effect as garlic. Hummus and crackers or spaghetti with a heavy dose of fresh garlic or roasted garlic with Brie if you need some recipe ideas.

Strong odors like those from essential oils (peppermint, Rosemary, eucalyptus, etc) sprinkled on a bandana and worn on a belt loop or around a pets neck drive the fleas away.

Also cedar chips don't kill fleas but they don't like the smell at all - maybe a big bag under the bed on under covers at the foot of the bed would help.

Wow thanks man! looking like i am going shopping tomorrow :)

Eucalyptus oil (sp?) We had an infestation about a year ago after a fishing trip. We dont even have any pets other than the fish. My wife did'nt want to use the chemical crap since she was pregnant so she searched online and found that they hate the eucalyptus oil. She dilluted some in water and put it in a spray bottle then sprayed everything. Put some one cotton balls and place then under any piece of furniture you can. It took like 2-3 times over a few weeks but they are gone.

+1 on this. Many years ago my roomate had two Dobermans that infested our house with fleas. I went and found a Eucalyptus tree and snipped off a bunch of branches and leaves and just scattered them all over the house. Within a week or so the fleas were gone - our carpet looked like the floor of a jungle though - coulda used a couple Koala Bears to clean it up.