Coral Farmers Market

Michael7979

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan on going just to see what kinda turn out tyree can pull in. Really want to see what vendors will be there. Nothing like shaking hands with someone I'm going to ask for a donation from later on.(hehe)

Get off the cost of the event and think about what there will be to see, new products maybe, and of course the corals.

And yes I guess we will be at an impasse.

What people might not realize is Steve Tyree is an independant business man. HE is putting on the coral farmers' market. He is responsible for the costs involved and the setup and attracting vendors and that sort of thing. And keep in mind Tyree is trying to attract some of the higher end vendors out there like Ming at Atlantis, Eric at Fragfarmer etc. So we can have the opportunity to view and purchase rare and exquisite corals first hand without having to travel or order online/pay shipping costs. He is then offering a free booth and a reduced admission costs to the club members. He doesnt have to do this for the club and the club has no way of impacting the costs of the market or the discounts the club can receive since this isnt being run by the club. So as i see it arguing about the admission cost is futile and the club should be more focused on advertising and promoting so that things like this will be more accessible to this area in the future rather than shooting it down because the price isnt what you would like it to be.

While I've never lost sight of the fact that this a 100% Tyree event....there still are a few points for the local reefers (club members or not) to think about. For better or worse, this kind of event, leads (or does not lead if it's a flop) to future events and conventions. The local club, whether it likes it or not, will be forced to hitch its wagon to this event if it ever has ambitions to expand beyond a local frag trading organization. The success of an event like this should take into account the LOCAL market dynamics that differ from previous venues like Ontario or San Fran.......and who knows these dynamics better than the local vendors and members. Even though this is a completely private event....the local club (and non club folks) should have a high interest in its success.....since this event's success becomes a resume builder for the club (and the Portland area) in its efforts to attract even bigger events (in spite of it being a 100% Tyree event). I would hope those local vendors and club leadership in a position to offer advice to Tyree will not hesitate to offer it.....it's Tyree's final decision of course. Even though none of us have a monetary interest in this event....it still affects us all.

I agree with you Steve, thats why i am saying, the admission cost is the least of the worries. Work on trying to get as many people to attend as possible so this becomes a success, and offer Tyree advice as needed to make it a success. The admissions costs are needed to offset the costs of putting this function together thats a given maybe moving the meeting area to somewhere cheaper to help reduce costs but then you have to worry about location and transportation to and from that area. And honestly $15 is not much to be able to talk to some of these vendors get their advice and to see what they have to offer.

Ok... so thats all i am gonna say about that.

-J.R.

I'm going to go with a positive attitude. I can see this as a be Benefit to all just to see and speak to all the different venders. I hope the club can put up a nice display. As far as buying any corals, I’ll just wait till it’s over, when there getting ready to pack it up, and then buy. No body want’s to repack and take it home. Yes, I see for a family, it would get expencive. What it is,,,, is what it is.:p

Well in the promoting part I have already put out the word to

PSAS,

Spokane's club,

Mid-Columbia AC,

Paulouse Region AS,

Flathead Valley(NW Mont.),

Idaho Marine AS.

All have stated interest and I'm getting back to them when I have a final word from Tyree, at the end of the month he says.

I'm doing this in hopes that somehow and someway this will lead to a MACNA/IMAC kinda event coming to the Portland/Pacific NW area in the future. That's my goal for the club..........to be a part of something like that.

Maybe I'm thinking to big but..........

No one is telling me anything new...I know Tyree is doing this as a private deal in order to try and make some money. Which is the only reason why he is doing it. Now I do not blame him for trying to make money (that is what makes this country go round) but everyone is putting him up on a pedestal, like he is doing this because he likes us up here so much. No he is doing this because he thinks he can make some money. Again, I think that the 15 dollar fee is not to bad, it is the 30 dollar fee that I think is outrageous. It's funny, no one can state their thoughts on here with out people freaking out and acting like they are telling everyone to boycott it and if they go they are bad people. I never said that, I simply said that I think the price entry fee is stupid. I think the price of movie tickets is stupid , but I still pay for them. I even offered a suggestion to get him more people in there, but yet I am still the bad guy. I agree that the club should be there I have never said anything other wise.

I did offer advise for this to be successful and Steve agreed with me...if you open it up and do not charge the high amounts that he is charging you will get more people through the door. I want this to be a success, but I do not think it will be as good as it could be at 30 bucks a head to get in the front door. I told me step dad and his buddy about it and they were interested until I told them it was 30 bucks ahead and they said they will pass. I am not making this up and just because there are 25 die hards on here that would pay any price to get in, does not speak for the entire demo of everyone in the PNW who have tanks.

Steve even offered up a suggestion that the entry could be based on if you spent money or not. So if you paid the 30 bucks to get it in, and you spend 150 on frags you get that 30 bucks back. I just really think you would get more people in the door and a bigger turn out if you made the entry fee 10 bucks or less. Constructive criticism is help just like anything else and this is what this is.

OK lets get off the cost!!!!!!!!

It will not be $30 per person UNLESS you wait until the day of the event!!!

Club members are getting a break, true. But if you buy your tickets on-line thru the club,(if we decide to -or- thru thr CFM website), a month before the show date. The tickets will be $20-25.

We as club officers need to decide if we want to sell tickets to the public or just direct people to the CFM site to buy them, (this will be brought up at our next board meeting).

So until we know exactly how this is going to work out why don't we just worry about how we can make this event a sucess for all involved. And then get this or something else to come back to the Portland/NW area. I really believe that if we get our collective butts together on this and try hard we can promote this enough to be a decent sucess. Hopefully it will meet the promoters expectations and that will be heard thoughout the industry, and it will good publicity for the club/group. Getting our name out there and letting others know we are willing to help out this great hobby.

hrm. I haven't read a lot about the details, but doesn't the internet already provide all the resources/contact/support/community/trading that this event is claiming to provide? What exactly is this event supposed to provide that the internet cannot? Do those benefits really justify an entire event with a fee? Sounds more like a marketing expense for some, idunno.

It's a cute use of terminology certainly...a Coral Farmer's Market. It has a bit of marketing momentum out of the gate just for that, because people like the idea of 'farmer's markets'. I can see it being more practical if it was free, but not with a fee. I'm sure you're all very attractive people and all, but I don't know if it's worth paying admission just to see (and smell)reef geeks up-close in their natural habitat. :P

Piero....there are a few things that this event can offer that the internet cannot. While some of the vendors will have an internet presence (ie. Atlantis, Tyree)....many are small time operations that have no internet presence. An example would be Travis. Last year, he was going to be a vendor at the bay area event. He was going to share a booth with Eric at Fragfarmers. He created a frag tray in his system months ahead of time in preparation for the event......his stock has limited exposure to those outside our area since his internet presence is limited. Now...even though he backed out at last minute....his frag offerings would have been received very well. This event attracts others just like Travis....those with unique stock but may or may not have an internet presence. The other advantage to a market like this is the availability of stock that is not normally available. Outfits like Tyree or Atlantis make available frags that normally have very limited availabilty.

I dont think the price of $15 is outrageous but i do agree that the turnout would be higher if it were free. I think of all the people just getting into this hobby or those that coem into your LFS and havent made the jump yet but are considering it. what better way to showcase what it is we love than if we could point them towards a free event where they could gain TONS of valuable info as well as some good discounts on equipment most likely. After all its these newbies who are the future of this hobby and someone who doesnt know all that much or is still kinda new and onthe fence so to speak about reefkeeping will balk at the $30 price of admission. I wont go just because i cant justify the admission price when I know i may very well not find anything i want to purchase inside.

I think "Limited Edition" frags is a bunch of crap anyhow but thats a whole nother discussion altogether.

i am not arguing over the price of admission. For people who are already involved in the hobby and know what to expect/see at this event then the price is/ may be worth it to them. I was thinking along the lines of newbies who are just getting thier feet wet and the valuable info they could get by walking around in such a place and talking to so many people.

Wow.....I can't believe we're still quibbling over a few dollars for the cost of admission.

I'm sure there must be far more important issues to discuss about this event?

Dave,

No one is arguing the price...we are simply saying that if you want a bigger turn out then let it be a free admission. I really think the impulse purchase would be a huge benefit. You promote this will a free admission, you will get people who wonder in see something they can not live with out and purchase it or maybe a couple of things. That same person probably would not have come, due to the fact that they are paying 25 bucks to get in. There are already a few people in this thread that agree with this..that says something...I now have three people I know that will not go since they charge to get in, however they would go if it were free, and more then likely drop some cash when they saw some stuff they like.

We keep talking about how we want this to be such a huge success, but when you limit people by charging for something, that they have no idea if it will benefit them or not (whatever that benefit may be...a really rare peice of coral, meeting new people, etc.), they will not show up. If you offer it at no charge you get the people that will come just to see it. I agree, that more people will show up if it is free, Steve thinks so (I am not saying he says we should not charge, just that the turn out will be higher), Mister Crabs does as well, I think Peiro does as well (I could be putting my foot in my mouth on this one) and then the 3 people I know think so as well...Something to think about...

I think I will be going, in hopes to find a rare piece and see what is there.