Can I chop my sump?

JasonH

Okay, I bought a sump ages ago from a fellow reefer here. It's a great sump, but I think it's too tall (scratch). It's about 20 1/2 inches tall, so it's pretty tall under a stand. I'm not sure if it was a custom made sump or a converted tank.

My question is, can I cut it down a few inches, or will that cause structural issues? It has a rim around the top like a typical acrylic tank. The sides are 1/2" thick, so I would think it would be strong enough without the top, but I don't know. There is about 6" between the top of the refugium section and top of the sump. Here are some pics.

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

I was thinking of cutting it down ~4", to still give a couple inches above the refugium, but make it easier to work in the sump under the stand. I know that space is important in case of power outage and water draining from the tank, but I think there is still plenty of space in the sump section.

I appreciate any input. And, if cutting it is a good idea, how to go about it. I have a pretty decent selection of tools to chose from; table saw, router, circular saw?

Thanks!

What Doug is saying is about the best way.

As a carpenter I cut boxes like that. Use the correct blade and set just at the hight for the thickness. Cut the top off as close to the brace top as you can then cut the 4" and glue the top back down.

I would talk with someone that has cut Plexiglas before you do it. I just do wood.

• Like 1

Do I need to worry about getting the top back on, or would it be okay rimless? With 1/2" thick acrylic, seems like it would be okay rimless? I could try to save the top, but it might be easier just to get a new sheet of 1/4" and route out a new top, if needed.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

I wouldn't try to re-use the top. With the dividers in it already it will be pretty strong. I would cut it down the 4" and fill it with water. If it bows more than you want get a piece of 1/4" and put another top on it. I think you will have a headache if you try to use the top again if it is necessary.

• Like 1

Well, it went pretty well. There is one spot where I clearly wobbled the sump as it went through the saw and ended up with a less-than-straight cut, but it's a very small section.

And I think the 1/2" sides are plenty thick to keep from bowing. Check it out.

Getting ready for the first cut:

IMG_0834.jpg

Second cut, the side:

IMG_0838.jpg

And the top off:

IMG_0839.jpg

Hopefully, soon I can show a picture of the sump plumed into the tank. Thanks for all the advice - couldn't have done it without you guys!

Nice job. I wouldn't worry about the top, it's more than thick enough and like barleycuda said you also have divider support. You can take a propane or map gas torch and lightly hit the top where the blade cut and made its blade marks to make them disappear and be smooth as glass, bad choice of words, acrylic.

Thanks again everyone for your input. The sump is now installed and running. I'll get a picture posted soon. It's a huge sump, I think it took about 40 gal to fill. There is no detectible bowing - without top or brace. Unfortunately, I didn't think to sand down the cut edges until I already had it set up. But it's okay, it's not too sharp/rough. There is a ton more room now that the sump is 4" shorter.

Thanks, Pantherguy. I know you're a woodworker; I remember the gorgeous stand you built. I'm a very, very novice woodworker, but I'm learning.

I really like the sump design. Since the refugium runs the full length of the sump and it's separate from the other chambers, I can have a different rate of flow for the refugium and sump.