BioPellets

eviljunglenoodle

I know Jordan, (Ron Popiel), at Upscales is using the Eco-Bak variety but not sure about your other questions.

Also I know Tim, (bill), at Westside is using Brightwell Bio-Fuel. But again I can't answer the other questions.

You might try to reach out to them. Hopefully some member that is using them will answer you later.

I believe Jordan had a serious problem with his SPS after he ran the pellets and has stopped using them. From reading various posts on different forums, it seems that there are some of issues when using pellets in an SPS tank. It seems there is short term improvement and then problems arise. However, this may just be a small percentage that have problems and need to post about those problems while the larger percentage of people that don't have problems never post.

Using GFO with bio-pellets will reduce the beneficial effects of the bio-pellets. The pellets need some nitrates and phosphates to work properly and if you remove all the phosphates they don't function right. I have been using them on one of the systems in the clownhouse. It is a 260 gallon system that has had about 150 fish in it for almost 4 months now. I have only done one 20% water change on it and the nitrates were only 10-15 when i tested them this last weekend. I know that they work but it has been better than I hoped. Considering that my nitrates are 10 out of the tap I am happy.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info everyone- @Barelycuda- I do remember reading about needing certain ratios of nitrates and phosphates for the pellets to work, and the gfo can starve out the bacteria, so that makes sense- what are you running your other systems on, gfo and carbon reactors? I've been debating on whether to pick up the bio pellets for this new tank or just get gfo and see how things go- I am assuming I could still run a carbon reactor with the pellets?

I set up the new system with the Warner Marine EcoBak pellets in the new NextReef SMR1 reactor. I have to say that I really like the reactor. I saw it for the first time at MACNA last fall and had to have one. They are the only ones that I am aware of that use the cast blue acrylic for the chamber. It keeps out light to reduce the algae growth. I have played with turf scrubbers and carbon reactors on the other system but I think I am going to integrate one of these on my broodstock setup next. I realize that these will not keep up with the bioload once the new system is fully stocked but I am happy with it so far. You stick 150 fish in a 260 gallon system for 4 months with only one water change and still have your nitrates at about 15ish. That's telling me they are doing something. The only other filtration on that system is a 900g rated fluidized bed (which is a nitrate factory), a big 12" recirc skimmer, ozone generator, and carbon. I have a feeling with the ozone and a big skimmer, the biopellets are working. Now when the system reaches 2000ish fish I do not expect this to keep up but it is reducing the nitrates to a degree which will reduce water changes from weekly to every 10 days???

The problem with sps and pellets are related to the fact that you go to levels of undetachable nitrates and phosphates.

And at that point you have to now how to handle the new scenario. It is not a fit and forget approach.

At that point if your feeding regimen is not enough to support sps needs, you are gonna have problems.

Sps do feed of light, bacteria and nutrients in the system. If you cut the last one completely and don't provide an alternative source you are encountering issues.

You can keep alive frags, but with no nutrients in the water you better provide some alternative source of food if you want to keep colonies in good health.

Bacteria is the most common way in low nutrients systems, because of their capacity to feed all the colony, even the inside part of it (the one that does not get light or flow that is rich of food).

The so called low nutrients systems, like Zeo, xaqua and so on, do provide you pellets (or zeolites), bacteria but also a food source.

All this words just for saying that I really don't encourage people to approach pellets in an sps dominated tank unless:

- you are aware of the additional work you have to dedicate to your tank

- you really know what you are doing and you experience is at a level that you can handle a low (or ultra low) nutrient system

There is an interesting and complete article about low nutrients systems and pellets in the november issue of coral magazine if you are interested.

Hope this helps