January 2011 Meeting Photography Powerpoint Presentation

Rick

The Powerpoint presentation I gave during the Jan. 11, 2011 meeting can be downloaded from the following link. If you are unable to read it then Microsoft has a free Powerpoint Viewer that can be downloaded.

Original Powerpoint Version

Reef%20Aquarium%20Photography.jpg

For those that prefer I also created a pdf version that you should be able to read using Acrobat Reader.

PDF Version

Reef%20Aquarium%20Photography.jpg

• Like 2

Thought I would throw up a few more tips when I think of them that didn't get mentioned during the meeting or that resulted from questions others asked.

1: A couple of people mentioned that raw files slow down their system. I assume this is occuring when they load a large directory filled with them. One person mentioned shooting raw and jpeg at the same time (Kate). I didn't mention it at the time however I do screen all of my raw images on the memory card and will even do some preliminary post processing before I transfer them to my archive folder. At this time I delete any really bad photos (something I never use to do) and then afterwards I transfer them. I normally do not shoot both raw and jpeg at the same time though. The only exception is if I need to preview them on another system or print them out right away. I.E. If I am unable to wait and post process myself then I'll shoot both.

2: Holding the camera properly. This is important when you are shooting handheld. You can run a search that will show the proper way to hold a camera however as a quick tip I'll just say that your arms need to be pulled close to your body which will help steady them. Then use your right hand to hold the camera positioned to click the shutter button. The left hand is held under the lens (or camera if the lens isn't long enough) and is used to actually hold the camera and lens steady.

3: When taking pictures of fish (people, animals, etc.) focus on the eyes.

4: Use single point focus when you are trying to capture a particular subject. (Especially when the depth of field is shallow which is what we usually are encountering in our tanks) Spot metering also usually helps to make sure a particular subject is lit properly.

5: Avoid using filters. They are great outside in daylight however even a normal UV filter takes away some light and we already have a hard enough time with getting enough light even without them.

6: If you find you are getting flare from the lights in your pictures get a lens hood. Lens hoods also help protect the lens.

7: Always, always, always..... Keep a backup copy of all of your images. I learned this the hard way about 8 years ago when I lost 2 years worth of images I had taken. I now keep a copy located on my local server and synchronize it once a week or so to put anything new there.

I'll add more as I remember them.

Rick I went to a photo store today to get a diopter and they told me that a diopter goes on a eye piece to help change the focus. They told me what I wanted was a multiplier that is what cuts the focal length. Is this true

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Rick I went to a photo store today to get a diopter and they told me that a diopter goes on a eye piece to help change the focus. They told me what I wanted was a multiplier that is what cuts the focal length. Is this true

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Go to a different store as they do not really know what they are. A diopter is used to change the focal length. There are diopters both for lenses and for view finders so they are correct to that extent. (You want one for the lens) It is not a multiplier although they are probably talking about the same thing. (Many people will incorrectly call it a multiplier which is not correct) A plus 2 diopter cuts the focal range approx. in half. (The range at which the lens focuses) A plus 3 cuts it to about one third. These do not double or triple the focal length which is what a multiplier would do. Run a search for 58mm lens diopter on amazon and it should come up with several options. Substitute whatever filter diameter you need for the lens you will use. I mentioned 58mm because that is the size for the 18-55mm you were using yesterday. Just be sure to get a decent quality set (Hoya, Canon, etc.) since the quality will effect the image.

For those above that didn't make it to the meeting I'm glad there were enough details there to still be useful. If you or anyone else have any specific questions post them here and I'll do my best to answer them. (If I don't know the answer I'll try to find it)

Thank you Rick for all the great information!

I put some of it to good use, took some nice pictures of our new square box anthia!

Squareboxanthia.jpg

squareboxanthia2.jpg

Those photos turned out great!

........Nice Fish! Out of state, garage shop, GOC, Tyree Group Buy, purchase??