CARDINAL JOY

Holly

We have 5 pajama cardinals. I kept noticing that periodically one of them seemed to be distended and blackish around the mouth. I thought it kept getting sick. Today, I was trying to see what was wrong with it and it started pulsing it's mouth... It's mouth is full of tiny clear-looking eggs!!

I can't believe it! I had not idea they were mouth brooders! :D

Furthermore, not one but TWO of them are mouthbrooding right now. TWO OF THEM! I can't believe it... I never expected fish to be happy enough to breed in my tank. YAY!! I'm ridiculously over-excited about this. (cheer)

Since I've seen this happen several times before, I can only assume that all the babies were eaten once hatched, since we have no baby cardinals (that I've seen).

Is there anything I should do? I have no where to relocate them; My quarantine tank is still soaking my copperband, and I doubt I could catch the cardinals anyway.

YAY! (clap) I guess these guys must breed easily in captivity...?

I tried to snap photos and video so I could grab the frame when the cardinal shutters her lips and something almost comes out. I was hoping you'd be able to see something other than just her Jay Leno chin.(laugh)

The large one has fry, not eggs, cuz they're trying to swim out. I didn't notice it before.

These two shots are the best I could get. On the one under the actinics only, you can kinda see the teensy thing trying to get out of her lips (if you have an electron microscope(whistle) )

I love watching it!

post-266-141867735225_thumb.jpg

post-266-141867735226_thumb.jpeg

Now that you mention it, I have one of those floating ones (I used to use with cichlids). Good idea!

But I've spent the past 10min trying to get near either female and this is completely impossible. They were some of the first fish in this rock set-up, so they know exactly where to go to escape.

I have lots of macro in there, so maybe they'll release the fry there when the time comes. Maybe a few will make it. (fingers)

Thanks for the advice though. That was a good idea.

My bad - I keep referring to the ones with eggs in their mouths as "she" but I just read online that it's the males that keep the eggs in their mouths. And I guess they spit them out when they hatch, so that must've just been eggs exploding out of his mouth, not fry. 'Looked like it was moving but I guess not.

Maybe you have to get some really small sized food for them to survive on!

I remember seeing cardinals with tiny offspring in an aquarium in Germany. It was so cute!!!

"Cardinalfish are mouthbrooders; after spawning takes place, the male will collect the eggs in his mouth. After the eggs hatch, he will continue to hold the fry for a period of several weeks. When he finally releases the babies, they are large enough to be fed newly hatched brine shrimp."

http://www.tropicalfish.at/saltwater/cardinal/cardinalfish.html

Best of luck! :)

OH! Even better! THANKS Jman!

However, with the fish in my tank, I have doubts that the fry will make it long enough to be fed. (sad)

I need six arms and plasticman netting to catch those buggers and put them in my breeder floaty before they spew out the babies. The biggest one, he's seriously having problems keeping them all in. Every time his lips part slightly, something comes out and he has to suck it back in...

Unrelated side note, I LOVE that I get to watch the MALE suffer the 'pregnancy' for once. MWA HA HA ..I SO need a seahorse tank now... (laugh)

The largest male has an empty mouth this morning. No sign of babies anywhere.

I tried to catch the other one again this morning but no luck.

Maybe this is a good excuse to get a nano--for my pajamas. Think my husband will buy that? (whistle)

Thanks JMan! I'll ck those out.

Other big surprise last night. I put a boxing crab in the tank in late July and never saw it again. In our Big Crash of 06 in the Fall, we drained the entire tank and dumped out all the sand, completely starting over. Tank was empty, rocks out of the water for a few hours.. No crab, of course. He reappeared last night. Unbelievable... HOWWWW???? (scratch)

I often find something completely unexpected when I look into my tank. It's unpredictable. I love that about it. :D

LOL brownie! When it comes to people's crabs, I maintain a "don't ask, don't tell" policy (scary)

My other male cardinal has a growing jawline. It looks like there's movement now, so I think they've hatched. I've been trying on and off ALL DAY to catch him so I can move him to the brood box and save the babies...but there's no way. Frustration! DOH!

Do you guys have any great secrets on how to catch fish in a reef tank??

post-266-14186773523_thumb.jpg

make a trap...

they can be real simple.

one of my favorites over the years was a tupperware container, a long one with a big opening, like for pasta. I just drilled the bottom with 1/4 holes so water would poor out when i lifted the thing and tied a fishing line to a hole drilled near the open end. weighed it down with a small rock set it down on the sand at an angle, so when i pull it out it comes up and not to the side of the tank first put some food in it, and when the fish swims in just yank it out

or there is one like this

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/plantinfo/fish_trap4.jpg

just make sure to put holes on the sides for water flow so if the fish gets in he doesn't suffocate, I just liked mine more because of the large opening, it worked on the bigger fish too