My 50 gallon build.

mwheeler

Well I sprang for a bigger tank today. The lfs here in Longview had a 50 gallon tank with matching stand and hood that has 4 39 watt t5 bulbs with individual reflectors in it and the bulbs with the ballasts for them. I am going to pick up the tank tomarow. Pictures to follow. The 24 gallon will be used for my fiancée's puffer tank.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can, I'd add at least 2 more 39w bulbs, if not 4, I run a 6 bulb 39w TEK light over our 40b, and honestly, if we could afford it, I'd have an 8 bulb. The 6 is more than enough light, but with an additional 2 bulbs, I could play with the color that much more LOL.

Or, you can probably fit 2 150w MH retro's into that hood if there's room, and that would give you way more than enough light, just use the T5's as actinics, and run 10k bulbs on the MH.

WICKED COOL(rock2) Congrats!! The one thing I really like is the foot print is the SAME as a 40b but its just a little taller, which is perfect!! I was actually looking at a 50 gallon as well recently, as I like that little extra height for allowing SPS to grow, especially the taller Acropora, that little 2-3 inches extra I personally like height wise, as the 40b if not on a taller stand don't have much of a viewing from the front.

You going to drill it? That is going to be one sweet tank!! I will be following your thread, I can't wait to see the end result!!

I personally think the 50g aquariums like that are going to be the next 40b, All the good things about the 40b but just a wee bit taller, Perfect!(rock2)

WICKED COOL(rock2) Congrats!! The one thing I really like is the foot print is the SAME as a 40b but its just a little taller, which is perfect!! I was actually looking at a 50 gallon as well recently, as I like that little extra height for allowing SPS to grow, especially the taller Acropora, that little 2-3 inches extra I personally like height wise, as the 40b if not on a taller stand don't have much of a viewing from the front.

You going to drill it? That is going to be one sweet tank!! I will be following your thread, I can't wait to see the end result!!

I personally think the 50g aquariums like that are going to be the next 40b, All the good things about the 40b but just a wee bit taller, Perfect!(rock2)

Wont be drilling this tank I am going to try a HOB skimmer/Refugium combo and if I dont like that I will add a sump and HOB overflow to the tank.

The LFS here in town has the ballast's for $1 more then Dr's F&S.

Jeez thats pretty good! I'm more into the instant gratification thing so I dont order too many things online...lol

Edit: BTW nice Christmas lights man! lol

I'm always the last in my hood to take them down on the outside of the house.