Petco to compete in online livestock arena...

Piero

ya but that's the case for liveaquaria.com too and they are doing fine apparently, slowly eating up market share with their customer service i suspect....deep pockets can afford it. i haven't looked, but i assume they are competing with Dr. Foster's liveaquaria etc.. Those sites make a killing already established in the market, and petco will likely competete with them. regardless, not good news for anyone in the trade. the wal-mart of livestock, oy! :(

What are you scared of? its not like they have a central giant petco with poorly maintained tanks that they are going to ship from. I would bet its just like the Dr's were they just contract with a wholesaler in LA with poorly maintained tanks to direct ship for them. It took Live Aq a few years before they actually open up there own facility that they held and care for the animals.

On a side note if you are going to order livestock online dealing with a bigger place like Petco or Live Aq you are more likely to get better customer service from them then you would a smaller place. Just because its easier for them to eat the cost of goods and there name is more important then fighting over $50

I dunno, I never seen a healthy fish come from there, I cant support a place that cant take care of their retail, you really think they will change and take care of the e-commerce? Doubtful... go buy a fish from Wal-Mart, hope you feel better after they are all dead, unless they are before you buy. Not poking at you its just that screw me once and shame on them screw me twice and shame on me, I don't trust them but lots of people will buy because they simply don't care. If the livestock was cared for why dont they take care of the retail store livestock? An employee would gladfully sell you the most infected fish in the store and has attempted to do so to me, now your shopping blind.

i dont think this will hurt anyone honestly and i think the care verys from store to store just like any mom and pop shop you take a gamble buying anything unseen thats ware seller trust comes in if they sell lots of bad fish or corals they wont be selling online very long word gets around.

I dunno' date=' I never seen a healthy fish come from there, I cant support a place that cant take care of their retail, you really think they will change and take care of the e-commerce? Doubtful... go buy a fish from Wal-Mart, hope you feel better after they are all dead, unless they are before you buy. Not poking at you its just that screw me once and shame on them screw me twice and shame on me, I don't trust them but lots of people will buy because they simply don't care. If the livestock was cared for why dont they take care of the retail store livestock? An employee would gladfully sell you the most infected fish in the store and has attempted to do so to me, now your shopping blind.[/quote']

I dont think they are taking care o the livestock for there online buisness I would bet its all sub out to some wholesaler in LA. The only thing petco is going to do is provide the backing of $$.

But I do agree that 9 out 10 petcos i have seen there fish section has sucked.

I'm willing to give them a chance. I've purchased inverts from the Hazel Dell store, and they're still thriving. Until Petco proves itself to be a problem, I'll go in with an open mind and suspicious eye. I still prefer to support LFS, but I won't crap on them before I know what they'll do.

From what I have seen of Petco and the diseased, parasite-ridden fish, reptiles, birds, and small animals that they buy and sell, I will continue to boycott Petco and encourage others to do the same.

The animals are treated like than the the dry goods they sell, complete with SKU numbers and tags with barcodes. Actually worse than dry goods, since they are live. I far as I'm concerned, they should go back to the days when the company was called Well Pet. They were a dry goods only store with no livestock. Petco needs to stick with that kind of merchandise... it's got a much longer shelf life.:mad:

I have to say, they do have fish on there that none of the stores I have ever seen have been able to keep. But until I walk into a petco and see a healty reef tank with thriving corals and fish (or just any fish with any health or life left in them).

That site makes me sick, hopefully they are just selling directly from wholesalers. But it really scares me that some of the stores I have been into sell anything alive (if you want to call it that)

I've seen plenty of dead fish at non-Petco stores myself, one place in particular every single visit. Many places just like Petco stick fish in the store wide circulation tanks which worries me just as much. I used to think only Petco did that. Never seen any sick fish while glancing at Clackamas Petco, but the store is newer too. Maybe its time for me to do a poll that I've been wanting to do for awhile now.