How you plumb the return from the chiller into your system?

reefgeek84

I am going to be hooking a chiller up soon and just curious of how creative people go with their return. I figure I am just going run it back into sump, but trying to determine the best way to secure it into the sump and have so it does not kink coming back into the sump...

Let see or hear some creative ideas....

Nope' date=' I have a Gen x pump running it all.[/quote']

No, what did you do with the return hose from the chiller, I know you have to have a pump to put the water into it... I am just trying for figure out a clever way to hold the return hose where ever I put it, in oder to not have it fall out or kink and slow the water flow...

Unless the chiller is connected to the same pump return to the tank by a bypass valve, I feel that it should run either sump to sump, or tank to tank. This will prevent a separate pump on a chiller line from running dry in case of the main return pump failing. It would make sense that a "closed loop" tank to tank would be the safest method of cooling (separate from the sump). A Gen-X can be run in this way.

You would just plumb it in like your normal sump return line.

For mine I have it using gravity of the overflow into the chiller and then sump.

The exception to doing this would be if the flow rate of the return exceeded the recommended flow rate of water to be run through the chiller. Then sump water pumped into the chiller on the return to the tank. This seems to be the preferred method in literature written on the subject.

On both of my shillers i make a simple closed loop from the return pump-chiller-back to sump. No extra pump needed. Just T off the return line with a 1/2" ball valve to control how much flow i give the chillers

I thought about this, but I have no idea how much flow I would be putting through it...

Unless the chiller is connected to the same pump return to the tank by a bypass valve' date=' I feel that it should run either sump to sump, or tank to tank. This will prevent a separate pump on a chiller line from running dry in case of the main return pump failing. It would make sense that a "closed loop" tank to tank would be the safest method of cooling (separate from the sump). A Gen-X can be run in this way.[/quote']

Yes, I was going to put a gen x pump in the front part of my sump and return it in the back of the sump

I thought about this' date=' but I have no idea how much flow I would be putting through it...[/quote']

Chillers are very liberal in the amount of water that you need to send through them to have them perform. If you can guess it within a couple of hundred gph you will be doing fine.

If you really want to know simply fill up a measured container of water with your chillers output over and over for a minute, dumping it back in the sump each time it fills. Simple math at that point how much water you are giving the chiller. ;)

Chillers are very liberal in the amount of water that you need to send through them to have them perform. If you can guess it within a couple of hundred gph you will be doing fine.

If you really want to know simply fill up a measured container of water with your chillers output over and over for a minute, dumping it back in the sump as it fills. Simple math at that point how much water you are giving the chiller. ;)

Yeah, I will also have to shut eveything done (relating to the sump) for a day to wait for the glue of the PVC to dry...

30 minutes and you are fine. The primer completely evaporates in about a minute, and the glue is completely inert in about 10.

the smell is enough to make you freak out, but i guarantee you it wont hurt anything. Ive done it countless times, along with many other people no issues ever

30 minutes and you are fine. The primer completely evaporates in about a minute, and the glue is completely inert in about 10.

the smell is enough to make you freak out, but i guarantee you it wont hurt anything. Ive done it countless times, along with many other people no issues ever

Interesting....On the back of the glue it says for it to be fully cured it will take 24 hours...