Anyone have one of these?

cellowithgills

What is your issue with the flow? He has a basic list of what flow per the size you use. did you go by that. My other thought immediately was it may be better to either pump from both sides with either one pump Y'ed off or to separate ones. Flowing from one side may create an uneven growth over time and more then anything I just like symmetry I guess...lol

If you do more searches you'll find many more of these and their are some pretty elaborate ones too so you may be able to get some ideas on how to improve upon what you have already...

If you are serious about running a turf scrubber you need to check out http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/

There is a ton of information on turf scrubbers on that site. It goes into design, flow, lighting ect. There actually is quite a bit to the design but can be highly effective if built right.

I have a large scrubber on the growout system in the clownhouse. I believe it is 12"x22". You have to be diligent on the maintenance and cleaning tho or they are worthless.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reading through the algae scrubbers forum for hours this morning and I think I am absolutely going to give one of these a shot. I'm not really having algae growth problems, but I have my feeding so low that I am getting minimal growth out of my corals too. I got spare parts to make the scrubber, but I don't have a sump installed. Somehow i gotta scrape up a hundred bucks or so for an overflow and return pump....maybe my future GFO savings will just fall out of the sky?!?

no- the lights on a uv sterilizer need to emit the proper uv spectrum, which would be harmful to algae (i think). it is certainly harmful to coral, that is why there is an extra filter on Mh bulbs/ HQI bulbs, otherwise the coral bleaches and dies. may be it would work with algae