Tankerald's 150gal SPS tank build

tanktop74

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good! you did it with the T5 SPS tank ' date=' next you should set up the LED SPS tank!![/quote']

Thanks Steve. But I have to give credit where it is due. Madmike has 3 of the same ati powermodules over his long tank and danik has one over his frag tank. I will be putting an LED over the frag tank so I will see how that goes.

Yeah I think fixtures like those make all the difference' date=' Madmike definetly sets the bar when it comes to T5 setups.[/quote']

Yeah he kind of lives up to his name!

That tank looks sick ladies!!!! Nice Job! But what happens when the corals grow?? LMAO Looking forward to the 400 gallon tank G man said you could fit down there:)

LOL, when the corals grow we frag them or move them! ( did you not see a recent sale thread with birdnests?) No 400 gallon tank! I refuse to let Beth build a tank down there. If we can't get it up and down the stairs it is not going there!

• 2 months later...
Oh yeah I've been wanting to get into acro's but have heard that they are high maintenance

They aren't really that bad. Beth and I are just both addicts which is a bad combination as it leads to a coral crackhouse and 4 tanks (laugh). You just have to make sure the parameters are more spot on but there are some aquacultured acros that can be very forgiving.

Oh yeah I've been wanting to get into acro's but have heard that they are high maintenance

If you should want to venture into sps, post a thread with any questions you have. Just my opinion, but sps is much more rewarding to keep and we have a few members that are quite good at keeping sps tanks.

They aren't really that bad. Beth and I are just both addicts which is a bad combination as it leads to a coral crackhouse and 4 tanks (laugh). You just have to make sure the parameters are more spot on but there are some aquacultured acros that can be very forgiving.

that makes sense

oh really I wonder if I could do it then because I've kind gone crazy with monti's and they are loving my tank and at the meeting last week I bought the green acro with blueish/purple polyps to just try it out and its doing just fine and I'm just using 4 t5's but an wanting to upgrade to either 8 t5's or LEDs

If you should want to venture into sps' date=' post a thread with any questions you have. Just my opinion, but sps is much more rewarding to keep and we have a few members that are quite good at keeping sps tanks.[/quote']

Yeah I bet they are I think they are beautiful but have always heard they were high maintenance but I might go ahead and venture into sps I already have like 12 different types of monti's and one green and blue acro that I got for like 7 $ to just try out

• 2 months later...
Any updates???

I could be mistaken as I am losing my mind due to old age or alcohol consumption in my early years but I believe they turned the SPS tank into LPS/softies and nems??

They travel a lot and bad luck had a tendency to visit when they were not around (sad)

Or.... I am totally wrong and am thinking of someone else-(nutty)

I could be mistaken as I am losing my mind due to old age or alcohol consumption in my early years but I believe they turned the SPS tank into LPS/softies and nems??

They travel a lot and bad luck had a tendency to visit when they were not around (sad)

Or.... I am totally wrong and am thinking of someone else-(nutty)

Yes Brad you are correct.... you are losing your mind....(Rim)(laugh)

I keed I keed!(laugh) Yes, due to our frequent travels (did I mention I'm typing this in Texas(scratch)) we decided to go lower maintenance and are converting the sps tank into a clown anemone tank. We are getting the clownfish from Barelycuda hopefully later this month and we will have it up and running by the January meeting which we are hosting.

My RBTA moved today and it got me to thinking, if you are going to leave town with nems at home you may want to consider a web cam that you can check from your phone. If you check your tank with the web cam and see the nem headed for the vortex you could then turn them off temporarily using your apex??? ( No idea if you have an apex just guessing you do. LOL)