Looking for Black Clown

wegotjs

I want to get a black and white false Percula(Ocellaris) clown. I am looking for one that has no

orange on the face. I thought that was the Australia version .

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/clownfis.htm

However Marine Depot has the aust. black clowns on sale.

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/blandwhoccla.html

But in there discription it says that they will have a orange face when mature. Please set me strait on what variety I am wanting.

If anyone knows of One or a pair for sale, either at a lfs or private person I would love to hear from you.

thanks

Hi,

I've got four of them from Dr. Foster's and Smith's, and they are doing well. I have had them for over a year. When they are juveniles, they are dusky orange and white, and as they mature all the orange becomes black.

They have become two pairs, and both sets are hosting in Rose Bubble Tipped anemonies. No eggs yet, but I keep watching!

Good luck! I had to keep checking back with Dr. Fosters until they became available.

Sincerely,

Jim

All the pure black ocellaris are from darwin island in australia. They all start out with orange on them and darken as they mature and get older. Most of these fish that are available for purchase will have the orange on they're nose because they are so young. But once they mature ime and imo they will be all black. The most recent one i bought took about a month and a half to lose its black nose.

• 2 months later...

I've had one of these since she was about the size of a nickel. She started with quite a bit of orange from her first stripe forward and didn't lose it until about a year later. From the discussions I've had on other forum sites they are a simple recessive, so breeding two black clowns should result in 100% black fry. I hope to pair her with another clown of the same type, but we all know how easy that is!

yup they pair well, I have one now I am working on getting it female, I will be ordering another soon from a local source FYI. I preffer to get them as juvies so I can sex them properly, adults are a pain.

yup they pair well' date=' I have one now I am working on getting it female, I will be ordering another soon from a local source FYI. I preffer to get them as juvies so I can sex them properly, adults are a pain.[/quote']

not to sound smart but how do you sex percs when they can change sexes depending on who is dominent.

Because a perc left in a tank alone will turn female after a couple months max if its old enough. Good luck sexing the clown though (nono).

Clowns CANNOT change sex's depending on who is dominant nless they are both juvies or males, at least common ones can't, they go from Juvi, to male to female, MOST (common clowns) cannot change from female to male. Hope that makes sense.

I have heard of someone stating a certain type could, only reason I left that up for grabs :) Of course all the info I have on clownfishes is from a book that "illcssd" has loaned me.. LOL I'm still not done reading it though

The book I have says 1 1/4"-1 3/4" they will progress out of the juvenile stage if there is room for a male or female. Of course I'm sure that varies from species to species and just like anything each little fish is different.