J.R's 180

J.R

Alright I thought it was about time to start up my build thread. (rock2) I am hoping that I will have the tank wet in mid-February. I will post updates and pics when I have them.

180 dual mega flow 6x2x2

fda9f586.jpg

80fda649.jpg

75 Gal Sump – (still needs barriers and bulk heads)

343f6b91.jpg

2 Coralife 1080 GPH return pumps

e5a57eb4.jpg

10 39w T5HO (ballasts only)

2 250W Halide

1 400W Halide

a18baeb9.jpg

ef415675.jpg

73f05ce6.jpg

HiS RO/DI

4142fbdb.jpg

Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor

ce6997cb.jpg

Rock – 180lbs (dry weight, have no idea what the actual wet weight is)

f6359042.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

8ece61f4.jpg

b3253981.jpg

Barrels – Where the rock is going to live for the next 2 months.

76ff643b.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome!! Great head start' date=' Best of luck the rest of the way, Thats going to be a wicked cool tank!! I don't envy all the work ahead of you(scary)...just doing a 40b was enough for me...lol, Can't wait to see pics in February when its all setup(rock2)[/quote']

Thanks Man!

nice start. i want to see more pictures with the building process.

Oh yeah, i'll post more as I get them.

great start!! looks like all ya need is a skimmer' date=' stand, canopy, lots of PVC, couple buckets of salt, and a fridge full of beer, you say the word and I'm sure you would have a couple people that would come over and help with the build. [/quote']

I actually already have the beer! (rock2) Your list just about sums it up, except I need sand too. I am going to build my own stand/hood.

sweet set up what do plan on putting in there

Going with a mixed reef but will lean more to the pretty sticks (sps)

Lookin Good' date=' nice equipment list so far. You'll like the rock when it comes time to aquascape. I'm on board keep the pictures and updates coming[/quote']

Thanks! LOL I got to admit I actually did the aquasacping OUT of the tank...I just had to play with the new rock (laugh). This stuff is really good for scaping...It just seems to have a good bite to it which helps keeping eveyrthing in place. I'm pretty impressed with it.

Sweet' date=' keep us super updated with cool pics[/quote']

Sure thing!

Yeah I did the same thing while is was cycling' date=' take it out build some structures, label them, even cut (tile saw) and puttied them together, put them back, couldnt resist![/quote']

Tile saw huh? that work pretty good for you? I used a claw hammer wrapped in a towel. It actually worked pretty good with this pukani rock.

Tile saw huh? that work pretty good for you? I used a claw hammer wrapped in a towel. It actually worked pretty good with this pukani rock.

yes it worked great, i had a few places I wanted the rock flat aginst the back or flat on the bottom. I also used it on my old rock where I cut the coral off the bigger pieces

yes it worked great' date=' i had a few places I wanted the rock flat aginst the back or flat on the bottom. I also used it on my old rock where I cut the coral off the bigger pieces[/quote']

I think i'm gonna try that. I do have a bathroom that we were thinking of using tile in so that will be my ummmmm excuse to buy it(wife)

I'm gonna go head off to Upscales and get the stuff I need so I can cycle the rock in the barrels. (rock2)

Very Nice J.R. You know your sump is bigger than a lot of people's tanks!(laugh)

I like the detail of your thread! I am tagging along!(clap)

Well I'm a typical man. I like my reef tanks to have a big...ummm sump(naughty)(laugh)

So I got my stuff to cycle the rock from Travis. I'll get that goin on Thursday! w00t! (rock2)

Okay so I got the stuff to start the cycle of the rock.

Bucket of Salt

Hydrometer

Thermometer

2 900 Maxi Jets

20lb live sand

100 watt heater. (will be re-used as a Pre-RO heater)

400 watt heater. (will be re-used as the display heater until I replace it with a titanium)

4ft T5HO light. (will be re-used as a sump light later. Props to Travis, he swapped the crappy 6500k bulb for a 10000k (rock2))

The rock will be wet this Sunday!

5869d663.jpg

7b4ab094.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay started the process of making water.

Built my pre-heater for the membrane. I started out with a 100w heater and that was not enough to keep the water hot enough to hold over 70 for longer than an hour. So I added a 300w and that did the trick. It held the temp over 70 for about 8 hours. Dont have a pic with the 300 yet.

Up next rock...

5cdd6e98.jpg

c84cbd93.jpg

0167b482.jpg

20a84e86.jpg

daac8d20.jpg

So I got rock in the barrels last night! problem is I couldnt fit it all in the two barrels I have lol. So now I am trying to figure out what to do with this left over 20%...Buy a rubermaid? Or I could just use the 75 that is going to be the sump and just cure it in there...problem with that is I can see myself taking it farther than just curing the rock! lol

I'm getting ready to cure a bunch of rock myself. What's the bucket with the tubing, egg crate and heater for?

Great thread btw...

Thanks,

Most RO units want to have water that is at a temp of 70 degrees. If you have normal tap going in its most likely sitting at around 50 degrees. It won’t hurt your RO to have water that cold but it can reduce your output by half. Water pressure can also drop your output. I know mine wants to have 65PSI for optimum output and mine is only 55 so I lose a little efficiency because of PSI, I didn’t want to lose more because of temp.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I havnt progressed too much further on the 180. Right now we are working on getting the family room done, which also means building the sump room and once I got that done all I need to do is build the stand, buy a skimmer and then I can set it up!

Oh also regarding the RO temp thing. This came direct out of my user manual. you can also find mention to this if you google "optimum membrane water temp"

"There are certain factors that lower product water production. The first is water pressure.

The ideal water pressure should be 65 psi. A water pressure of 45psi will reduce the rated

Gallons Per Day(GPD) by one half. The second condition is water temperature. The ideal

operational temperature should be 70 o to 77 o F, 21 o to 25 o C. Low water temperatures like 50o

F, 10 o C restrict the output to half. NEVER run hot or mixed hot/cold water to the unit. Only

run the cold water. The third and final condition is the TDS or Total Dissolved Solids of the tap

water. These units are rated for 200 ppm(parts per million) of TDS. High TDS can also lower

output."